Hello, total newb so go easy.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Duvall

I have had a kitchen ceiling boarded and skimmed over the last 3 weeks. This week there have been flakes or spots appearing over the surface of the plaster. (see image attached)

My builder is looking into it with his suppliers but I wanted to see if anyone on here had come across this problem before?

The flakes are about 5-10mm across, and under each one there is a white chalky / salty ball or spot.

At first there where perhaps 10-15 now they are everywhere so not specific to one area of the ceiling.

The ceiling is a timber frame with plaster board fixed to the timber, builder said that no PVA was applied and plastered straight onto the board.

We thought this was just on the kitchen ceiling but smaller spots have started to appear on a wall in the kitchen area.

My builder has said he will sort and I trust him to do so, however he was equally as baffled as he had never seen anything like it before, I have searched this forum and google and nothing is coming up that remotely looks like the problem we are having.

If anyone can shed any light on it, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Karl.

Attachments

• plaster problem.jpg
    plaster problem.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 363
Is it in lines where joists are at all ? Did he use dry wall screws ? Not joiners screws ? As john says paint it , if its flat etc it will dissappear like magic .

I would guess it was a greasy kitchen ceiling that's wasn't overboarded only skimmed and the shits coming through?

I have had a kitchen ceiling boarded and skimmed over the last 3 weeks. This week there have been flakes or spots appearing over the surface of the plaster. (see image attached)

My builder is looking into it with his suppliers but I wanted to see if anyone on here had come across this problem before?

The flakes are about 5-10mm across, and under each one there is a white chalky / salty ball or spot.

At first there where perhaps 10-15 now they are everywhere so not specific to one area of the ceiling.

The ceiling is a timber frame with plaster board fixed to the timber, builder said that no PVA was applied and plastered straight onto the board.

We thought this was just on the kitchen ceiling but smaller spots have started to appear on a wall in the kitchen area.

My builder has said he will sort and I trust him to do so, however he was equally as baffled as he had never seen anything like it before, I have searched this forum and google and nothing is coming up that remotely looks like the problem we are having.

If anyone can shed any light on it, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Karl.
You know what, I had exactly the same thing on a bedroom wall I was skimming over last week. Wall had been stripped of all plaster and paint and given a good couple of licks of PVA. No screws, no grease, 2 x 5mm chips flaking off from a good 2 coat multi finish a few days later once dried.

Thanks for all your replies.

They are not concentrated on the board seams, nor are they in any one specific area.
They are not from screws.
New timber ceiling frame, 1.5ft from Structural ceiling, screwed, taped boarded and Skimmed. (so rules out greasy existing ceiling, or flexing from above)

I thought it through process of elimination that it was the plaster board as it was only appearing on the two new ceilings, Today noticed that the same flakes with white dots underneath are also visible on a couple of walls in the same Room

Dehumidifier was on to speed up the drying time, window and doors left open.

Hes a builder who Plasters. To be fair he has plastered the whole house over the course of two years and its spot on, from a client who knows nothing about plastering we are really please with the end result its a great finish only problem is this pitting /flaking in the kitchen, Which is onto boards where as the rest of the property is back to brick, and no problems at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.