Hello to All Members. High quality insulation render and insulation plaster from Bauwer.

Members online

Just for your information, Bauwer product application review from a very experienced customer:

" We have used Bauwer rendering materials externally on our 300-year-old stone plinthed cob house. Original, as built construction leads to three principal issues:

(a) lack of thermal insulation due to the high conductive capability of the stone, this being exacerbated by thermal bridging across tie stones and earth bridges,

(b) rising damp, and

(c) vapour permeation from the building interior condensing at the dew-point within the wall.

Having removed the cement render (inside and out) that the previous owners/‘builders’ had applied, we re-rendered (lime putty) both the interior walls and exterior cob ‘uppers’, and deep-pointed the outer stonework, which was so pretty we toyed (for a couple of years while doing other restorative work) with the intent of flush-pointing it and leaving it on-view. The status-quo (bare stone) is simply too cold. We wanted the walls to continue ‘breathing’, and the Bauwer ‘Light’ looks, in specification terms a very useful material: moderately good insulative properties (for what effectively is a structural-strength render) but most importantly respectable water vapour permeability: ‘breathable’. We’ve put around 50mm total render over the entire exterior stone plinth wall and two skims of ‘Finish’ with 4mm glassfibre 160g mesh. The builders (plastering experts of 50 years practice) hadn’t used the Bauwer materials before and wanted to play things safe thickness-wise; as things went on the guys quickly switched from circumspect to very ‘pro’, very much liking the easy knock-up, low density and application."

" We have now to finish-paint, which will be the Seciltek silicate stuff with Secitlitek primer under, as will the remainder of the cob walls, which were last limewashed around 8 years ago.

So now we we’ll find out, over the coming winter, how much difference is actually achieved in thermal and wall dampness properties: I’m expecting the outcome to be good, as external insulation is a far superior solution (to the thermal problem of old housing stock) than internal insulation. For any building needing water vapour breathability - i.e. most over 60 years old), these lightweight permeable renders are an ideal solution. More to come."

Someone left a turd on the ledge [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ben, that's an impressive observation!
By the way have you got a chance to play with a Bauwer Light sample I sent you about 3 months ago?

It is a well known fact that there are about 7 million non-insulated solid wall houses in the UK which are bleeding heat every day, some with condensation issues, rising damp as well....what are we going to do about it guys?

Bauwer Light is an affordable solution to that challenge.

Regards, Alexander

By the way have you got a chance to play with a Bauwer Light sample I sent you about 3 months ago?

It is a well known fact that there are about 7 million non-insulated solid wall houses in the UK which are bleeding heat every day, some with condensation issues, rising damp as well....what are we going to do about it guys?

Regards, Alexander

I haven't yet Alex, will be moving back inside soon though bud winter is coming [emoji17]

Regards, Alexander

Regards, Alexander
Have you a picture of it fully dried out that's not painted

Have you a picture of it fully dried out that's not painted

Hi Mate,
That's all what I got at the moment. I hope we'll see more photos with a nice, vapour permeable decoration by Seciltek masonry paint very soon. This solution allows walls to "breath" leaving walls dry and warm.

Hello to All Members,

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as Bauwer manufacturer representative in the UK, based in Liverpool. I will be focusing on Bauwer business development throughout the UK.

I am new to the forum and I am really looking forward to join the forum community.

Regards,

Alexander
20160818_092659.jpg

20160818_092659.jpg

I have one bag on the test panel at 20mm to 25mm. How long do I have to wait before I float and sponge it like traditional sand and cement. It's the light am using.

View attachment 13239
View attachment 13239
I have one bag on the test panel at 20mm to 25mm. How long do I have to wait before I float and sponge it like traditional sand and cement. It's the light am using.

Hi Mate,
Bauwer is two layers insulation system with Bauwer Light is an insulation layer (replacement of non vapour permeable petroleum based EPS or phenolic insulation boards) and Bauwer Finish is finishing layer, which you apply the next day after Light and that's the layer which you float and sponge.

Bauwer Light yield is 1sqm@25mm and Bauwer Finish 8sqm to 10sqm@5mm thickness.

Could you please see the method statement at:
http://bauwer.co.uk/templates/Default/images/BauwerLightMethodStatement.pdf

You could also use alternative finish like Monorex GM, segregating both layers with a deep penetration primer, like 751 Lankolatex. If Bauwer Finish is used, then primer is not necessary, just apply water on the previous layer in order to control the suction per method statement above.

Regards, Alexander

Hi Mate,
Bauwer is two layers insulation system with Bauwer Light is an insulation layer (replacement of non vapour permeable petroleum based EPS or phenolic insulation boards) and Bauwer Finish is finishing layer, which you apply the next day after Light and that's the layer which you float and sponge.

Bauwer Light yield is 1sqm@25mm and Bauwer Finish 8sqm to 10sqm@5mm thickness.

Could you please see the method statement at:
http://bauwer.co.uk/templates/Default/images/BauwerLightMethodStatement.pdf

You could also use alternative finish like Monorex GM, segregating both layers with a deep penetration primer, like 751 Lankolatex. If Bauwer Finish is used, then primer is not necessary, just apply water on the previous layer in order to control the suction per method statement above.

Regards, Alexander
I understand what you are saying. But this is only a test panel I will be taken it off at some point. The Bauwer Light can it be finished with a float and sponge like traditional sand and cement on external work?

I understand what you are saying. But this is only a test panel I will be taken it off at some point. The Bauwer Light can it be finished with a float and sponge like traditional sand and cement on external work?

Bauwer Light is an insulation. It is extremely light-weight, just 280kg/m3 due to lots of air entrapped in the expanded Perlite which is a filler of Bauwer Light. Once it solidifies, bond strength 0.5 N/mm2 and compressive strength 2.19N/mm2 achieved, making Bauwer a SOLID wall insulation vs like a card-board feels like EPS based EWI systems (External Wall Insulation).

Nevertheless stronger Finish is required, for example Bauwer Finish bond strength is 1.28 N/mm2 and compressive strength 37.2 N/mm2. It is like an egg shell for Bauwer Light insulation layer.

It is always required to finish Bauwer Light with a finishing render, same way as you need to finish an insulation board.

Let's have a call and we'll figure out a best solution for you.

Regards, Alexander

View attachment 13239
View attachment 13239
The Bauwer Light is nice to put on. I had no problem getting 25mm on in one go could have got more on tbh. I'll be putting the finish coat on next week. I'll post a picture of the finish

The Bauwer Light is nice to put on. I had no problem getting 25mm on in one go could have got more on tbh. I'll be putting the finish coat on next week. I'll post a picture of the finish

That's absolutely correct, it is possible to apply Bauwer Light up to 50mm in one layer, due to it's light-weight.
Also Bauwer insulation is designed to be applied by plasterers and it is plasterer friendly.

Traditional EWI and IWI (external and internal wall insulation) systems are typically petroleum based EPS, phenolic, PIR, composite boards with a number of disadvantages like:

- poor breathability and vapour permeability, potentially introducing condensation issues to the solid brick wall (rigorous risk assessment is required before application), subject to mould and fungi growths
- poor fire resistance and none co-friendly, as petroleum based
- while it is called solid wall insulation, after installation a wall feels more like a card board when you knock it
- potentially introducing "cold bridges" on the boards links
- it is difficult to fit the insulation boards in uneven areas, curved surfaces, etc

Bauwer addresses those issues in the cost efficient manner. There is a large market for the solid wall insulation given more than 7 million houses not being yet insulated in the UK.

Regards, Alexander

Following several questions, I'd like to post following recommendation re Bauwer Finish from a very experienced customer:

"The Bauwer Finish, like Standard and Light, 'firm-up' very quickly after application and don't like to be trowelled much. We were able to achieve a reasonably smooth and flat finish (much better than Lime-Putty based render, for sure). We haven't painted Finish yet - we'll use Seciltek silicate paint- but I notice that wet std/light/finish dries-out really well, indicating very good moisture transmission and breathability. So far, then, so good. More to follow when paint goes on.
My suspicion re Finish is that you need to be FAST and not trowel much. Flatness: Get it (undercoats) flat prior to Finishing; 6P Principal; Prior Preparation Prevents Pretty Poor Performance!"

Just started reading through this lot then gave up :) got a stone cottage to look at tomorrow they have rang about lime can this product be used instead? Cheers @Bauwer

Just started reading through this lot then gave up :) got a stone cottage to look at tomorrow they have rang about lime can this product be used instead? Cheers @Bauwer

Hello Flynnyman :)

Sure, that's one of the main application area for Bauwer.

A key characteristic of older buildings is the widespread use of 'breathable' (or 'permeable') materials, which are able to absorb moisture and release it again without damaging the building (solid stone and solid bricks walls, no cavity). By contrast, most modern buildings (with a cavity) rely on materials that keep moisture out.

Maintaining the building's ability to control moisture levels in this way is fundamental to its effective thermal performance. When looking after or making changes to the older home it is critical to use materials that are well compatible with it eg breathable.

Bauwer is a highly breathable martial with vapour permeability coefficient of 4. Also Bauwer is much lighter vs Lime, delivering a considerable thermal performance and application efficiency. Lime is also one of the key components of Bauwer as well as expanded Perlite which delivers thermal performance.

There are number of customer reviews, who applied Bauwer in older buildings:
http://bauwer.co.uk/Reviews.html

Also Bauwer material is now available from our official distributor @Plasterers1StopShop

Best regards,
Alexander

Thanks for the mention @Bauwer - we have already sold products to a few jobs. The reviews coming in are very positive so far, the main thing is we are getting repeated orders.

If anyone would like information, samples or prices on the range. Please do not hesitate to get in touch

Hello Flynnyman :)

Sure, that's one of the main application area for Bauwer.

A key characteristic of older buildings is the widespread use of 'breathable' (or 'permeable') materials, which are able to absorb moisture and release it again without damaging the building (solid stone and solid bricks walls, no cavity). By contrast, most modern buildings (with a cavity) rely on materials that keep moisture out.

Maintaining the building's ability to control moisture levels in this way is fundamental to its effective thermal performance. When looking after or making changes to the older home it is critical to use materials that are well compatible with it eg breathable.

Bauwer is a highly breathable martial with vapour permeability coefficient of 4. Also Bauwer is much lighter vs Lime, delivering a considerable thermal performance and application efficiency. Lime is also one of the key components of Bauwer as well as expanded Perlite which delivers thermal performance.

There are number of customer reviews, who applied Bauwer in older buildings:
http://bauwer.co.uk/Reviews.html

Also Bauwer material is now available from our official distributor @Plasterers1StopShop

Best regards,
Alexander

I haven't forgotten to call you. Just waiting for the client to get a new window in. And make his mind up. I'll be talking to him on Saturday evening.

Went today 1800 cottage that had been half floated with browning lol complete s**t hole built of stone and chalk nowhere near ready, she said can you give me a ballpark figure after two minutes :) gave her your website and ran the f**k out of there.

@Bauwer if it's highly breathable etc is this something that could be used after the installation of a dpc, I'm guessing not as it wouldn't have a salt inhibitor etc

@Bauwer if it's highly breathable etc is this something that could be used after the installation of a dpc, I'm guessing not as it wouldn't have a salt inhibitor etc

Bauwer is recommended for the insulation of older buildings with solid stone or brick walls (with no cavity).

Most older buildings are made of permeable materials and do not incorporate the barriers to external moisture such as cavities, rain-screens, damp-proof courses, vapour barriers and membranes which are standard in modern construction. As a result, the permeable fabric in older structures tends to absorb more moisture, which is then released by evaporation. When older buildings are working as they were designed to, the evaporation will keep dampness levels in the building fabric below the levels at which decay can start to develop. This is often referred to as a ‘breathing’ building.

As older buildings need to ‘breathe’ the use of vapour barriers and other impermeable materials (like EPS or phenolic boards) commonly found in modern buildings should be avoided when making improvements to energy efficiency, as these materials can trap and hold moisture.

Rising ground moisture could be present in any solid wall which does not have a physical damp proof course. In such situations the moisture level is generally controlled by the ‘breathability’ of the material, which limits total moisture by allowing the excess to evaporate harmlessly away.

The interface between existing walls and added impermeable insulation, like EPS boards, could be susceptible to cycles of evaporation, condensation and salt crystallisation. As such locations are hidden from view; major deterioration may have taken place before anybody becomes aware that there is a problem. Unfortunately salts are notoriously difficult to effectively remove from porous building materials such as brickwork, masonry and plasters.

Salt inhibitor could be applied on the substrate, subjected to salt contamination, before applying Bauwer Light.

We're exhibiting at Homebuilding and Renovating Show this weekend at Harrogate !

Visit our M152 stand if you are around :)

I'm gonna hold my hands up and say I'm mega impressed with the way @Bauwer have responded to all the questions asked and the information that has been provided its been a very Interesting thread and I wouldn't mind using the materials should the opportunity arise [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I'm gonna hold my hands up and say I'm mega impressed with the way @Bauwer have responded to all the questions asked and the information that has been provided its been a very Interesting thread and I wouldn't mind using the materials should the opportunity arise [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Am using it next month on a small internal job. I'll let you know how I get on am using the standard. I will be using the light externally in the summer.