Hello to all, and i need advice

Members online

I have recently had kitchen ceiling and walls plastered. Ceiling two coats to cover artex. I now have brown spots on the ceiling. This is a large room and advice would be gratefully appreciated as i don't want to have to keep dealing with it by trial and error.
Is this something the plasterer should address firstly, as walls are fine and ceiling should be. Of course he's not a superhero but did take on the task - could this relate to depth of plaster, type, etc. when used over artex.
What are the best options as i need this covered knowing it won't bleed through. Any suggestions of brands to use would also help.
Very grateful.

Attachments

• 20201101_083011.jpg
    20201101_083011.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 20201101_082947.jpg
    20201101_082947.jpg
    881 KB · Views: 158
  • 20201101_082958.jpg
    20201101_082958.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 157
I have recently had kitchen ceiling and walls plastered. Ceiling two coats to cover artex. I now have brown spots on the ceiling. This is a large room and advice would be gratefully appreciated as i don't want to have to keep dealing with it by trial and error.
Is this something the plasterer should address firstly, as walls are fine and ceiling should be. Of course he's not a superhero but did take on the task - could this relate to depth of plaster, type, etc. when used over artex.
What are the best options as i need this covered knowing it won't bleed through. Any suggestions of brands to use would also help.
Very grateful.

Probably grease bleeding through. Stain block before top coats of paint.

Very grateful.

100% not plasterers problem its your dirty house frone either cooking dat or nicotine.

Needs stain block applying by you not the plasterer as part of decoration process.

Mist coat as normal then use Zinsser bullseye 1-2-3 paint putting 2 coats over affected areas covering a good margin and emulsion remaining ceiling around those patches at the same time, just overlapping them patches whilst they are still wet so the ceiling gets even distribution/thickness of paint all over it (otherwise you will see the stain block paint patch outline showing proud of majority of the finished surface when the lot gets painted)
Third coat emulsion (maybe a fourth) will never notice the patching approach has been taken

“Hip Hip Hip”
2CBBEBD3-C5BE-49B1-BCE2-5AC4747F509B.jpeg

Last edited:
Very grateful.
Never the homeowners fault ,u only came on here to try get ammunition to go back at him with as was said grease or nicotine is the probable cause so if your looking for a superhero to blame look in the mirror

Very grateful.
Happened to me a while back. Plastered over stains and they came back

Bloxxit, I use and don't be mean with it, either.

Then use proper kitchen and bathroom paint.

I agree with other posters that the stains in OP's pics look like grease.

Happened to me a while back. Plastered over stains and they came back

Bloxxit, I use and don't be mean with it, either.

Then use proper kitchen and bathroom paint.

In most cases, I've found that water-leak stains and nicotine stains can reliably be dealt with with almost any oil-based primer/undercoat, even if not marketed specifically for stain-blocking. Haven't tried this with oil/grease stains, though.

Mist coat as normal then use Zinsser bullseye 1-2-3 paint putting 2 coats over affected areas covering a good margin and emulsion remaining ceiling around those patches at the same time, just overlapping them patches whilst they are still wet so the ceiling gets even distribution/thickness of paint all over it (otherwise you will see the stain block paint patch outline showing proud of majority of the finished surface when the lot gets painted)
Third coat emulsion (maybe a fourth) will never notice the patching approach has been taken

“Hip Hip Hip”
View attachment 55232
Detailed and helpful. Many thanks.

Never the homeowners fault ,u only came on here to try get ammunition to go back at him with as was said grease or nicotine is the probable cause so if your looking for a superhero to blame look in the mirror
Unhelpful. Was not seeking ammunition, was seeking advice. Happily some ppl here have offered responsible answers rather than guarding their backs

Unhelpful. Was not seeking ammunition, was seeking advice. Happily some ppl here have offered responsible answers rather than guarding their backs
Who’s guarding there back every plasterer on here knows what those spots are and in your first message u we’re blaming the plasterer was the dept of plasterer enough did he use the right type of plaster etc all u wanted was people to agree with u and then u would go back at him all tooled up with information,tell us did u contact him and tell him it’s not he’s fault which I can assure u he all ready knows .did u tell him it was your dirty ceiling which caused the problem,

Happened to me once really bad but it covered fine with paint. Painter spotted them in with a brush then 2 coats of paint and it was mint.

He's not done anything wrong so he wants paying. Only way there's no risk of these things happening are if you fork out the money and rip the ceiling down and reboard.