Hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Hi, my name is Chris and i'm new to the forum so wanted to introduce myself.

I'm not currently working in the trade but am seriously looking into it as a full time career as I quit my job two years ago to be a stay at home dad. I'd like to be my own boss and take on small domestic jobs which fit in with my family commitments. ie working between school hours locally. Having read some of the threads i'm aware there is a lot to learn and work isn't always easy to come by. Thankfully my wife is the main earner so I have time to learn and build up contacts. Most important for me is gaining experience at this stage, not depending on it to earn a living.

My step dad is a builder with 45 years experience behind him, so I've been on sites with him and picked up a bit. I'm not stupid though and know its not as simple as picking up a trowel and off you go.

I've been plastering now on and off for 13 years doing odd jobs for friends and family. I'm 39 years old. Self taught if you can call it that). Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you folk on the forum.

I've got a couple of jobs in the diary but these are from people I've plastered for before. I need to get out there and take the plunge.

Hi chris. Stay at home dads are the tits! Did you go to all the baby groups? Im not taking the piss iv been doing the same for the last 18 months and working part time.

Hi,

Its certainly not what I expected. 3 kids aged between 4 -7yrs old. It can be pretty busy and you do get the piss taken out of you a fair bit. On a serious note though I'm now starting to get a bit more free time as they get older. I'm always going to be called on as the free taxi driver by the kids but like you I want to get back to at least some part time jobs.

cheers

Iv got 1 and she will be 2 soon its a real pain in the arse to get someone to look after her so i can go work. I was supposed to work monday and tuesday this week but the little bugger lost my van keys so i could not go :RpS_cursing:.

Hello i am Sullivan from canada and just joined this forum to learn many new things here and share some things with you and want to views forum members, I hope all forum members are more friendly and this is my first post just introduce myself and say to hello to all.:):):)

Hello i am Sullivan from canada and just joined this forum to learn many new things here and share some things with you and want to views forum members, I hope all forum members are more friendly and this is my first post just introduce myself and say to hello to all.:):):)
:RpS_crying: life is not that sad, Not here anyway.

Welcome along Chris

great first post mate - looking to go into retirement and start plastering.... LOL

Good Luck pal

where are you based? maybe someone is local to you....

Welcome along mate ,sounds like you need a rest , come into our world , to be honest things are picking up , stick around on the forum , maybe someone could help you out , best of luck :RpS_thumbup:

Welcome Chris I'm pretty new to the forum myself. But Thers a Great bunch of lads on here,! And plenty of laughs to!

Thanks for all the welcome comments. I'm based in Chatham Kent. Unfortunately my old man's business has been based in Wales for the last 20 years so its not as simple as going back to work for him. I'll be on my own but determind to put the hours in and make the business work.

I'm sure for every success story you hear about "going on my own was the best thing I ever did and wish i'd done it years ago", there are several failure stories but i'm seriously going to give it a go. I've been applying for jobs elsewhere without success.

Looking forward to getting back to work for a well earned break from the kids.....!

Welcome mate. Gillingham based but we work on site si not sure I could offer you anything

Status
Not open for further replies.