Hello all

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Hi all, I'm new to TPF and am just about to start a diploma in plastering with Barnfield collage with as much weekend work with family already in the game to get some experience. I'm after advice on what tools I need to start? My uncle that I work with tells me not to worry about them yet but I want to buy up and feel like a man! :RpS_thumbsup:( I'm 31 with 4 kids)

Welcome along George, I think someone has asked that same question and someone lovingly wrote a comprehensive list. It's on here somewhere

Speak to the owner @Danny he used to live in your neck of the woods might be able to get you some work

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya

Yeah I use to have Milton Keynes pretty sewn up :) I dont know many plasterers round that way now though.... I was up there a few weeks ago had quite a big job on.... could have done with a hand...lol

Welcome to the forum :)

Danny

Get yourself kitted out with marshal town gear.a bit pricey at the start but well worth the investment.just buy a to every few weeks.

So maybe buying the kit plus a good marshal town as best? Leaving the trowel that comes with the kit as back up?
Thanks again for sparing the time to pass on your knowledge to a newbie :)

Welcome George,tyzak takes a long time to break in, get 14x4.5 Marshall town pre worn trowel, hawk ,angle trowel, float,gauger, bucket trowel,snips ,hammer,small tools,water brush, small angle brush, mixing drill, tape,level etc..

I often buy at the Sunday markets, there are sponsors in here who will do you a deal on tools perhaps, @Danny will point you in the right direction

There is a big car boot sale near me every sunday, always pick up bargains there. bought a lovely little bull nose trowel, nicely worn in for 50p. picked up 50 m hose hardly used for £4. Ideal for the job Im on now where the only tap on site is in the next county

There is a tool shop at the market in Milton Keynes and I remember my grandad back in the always got his stuff from there,its been there for as long as i can remember so Will have to go have a look.

the thing with tools is to only buy what you need... dont get sold into thinking you need it....

I have a scutch hammer... I have never used it...lol

Just buy things you need and then you wont waste money on pointless stuff :)

An MT trowel is like £40 worth every penny... A hawk (handboard) is like £15 but you can buy cheapo ones... I like the MT magnesium ones but i know others who like the cheap plastic ones.....

A mixer... I just picked up a draper one for like £100... I only do bits now so dont need to spend a fortune :) Bloody good mixer so far :) The mixer it replaced was only a £70 ebay jobby but lasted forever.... well until now....

COrner trowels are not essential...

I have a lathe hammer or a drywall hammer... which i use all the time...

God luck buddy :)

Danny

Yeah I think I'll take my uncles @fastplasterers advice and use there tools whilst I build a collection up with first investment in a good hawk and trowel.:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.