Heat Resistant Plaster Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinky

Hi all,

What is the best heat resistant plaster?

Have recentley fitted an inset woodburner and dri-lined it with fire resistant plasterboard.

The problem is just above the fire, the chimney breast gets hot and cracks the multi finish which was used to plaster it.

Is there a product I can apply over existing multi-finish plaster?

Is there a good heat resistant base paint available to help stop this happening again?

Thanks in advance. Pinky

wouldnt use plasterboard even fire resistant its not designed to go above 50 degrees you should sand cement and lime as a backing coat then victas plaster its dear but pukka, with the victas make sure you get it right the stuff is very sticky and wnt dry out as quick as multi but once its dry you wnt be able to sand it so as i said make sure its spot on.
get rid of that boarding youve done though

Double board with fireline but break the joints on the front of the chimney breast. This should stop the cracking.

Also seal with fire cement or similar around the edges of the boards in the aperture, to stop heat rising up the back of the boards and to stop the chimney drafting from behind the boards.

gyproc wnt last over 50 deg you have to sand/cement and lime the inside where the burner sits then about 400 above on the face and about 300 on the sides of the opening of the face

Mine gets hot as hell and has been fine. Some finish did shell at the back of the fire where it is close.

I have done more since but not skimmed the inside, a better option.

Thanks for the replys

The thing is it was done in fire board and not sand and cement because it is an inset fire sitting in a false chimney breast. The flue just goes up a couple of feet then through the wall.

Have been looking at an everbuild product called purimachos heat resistant plaster.
Wondered if anyone has used it?
Hopefully beable to skim it over existing plaster and get a good finish without the small cracks .

Cheers

001.jpg

Lol, can't use it anymore. I hung a tv above it.

I put the fire there before I got central heating and cant be bothered changing it.

The centre speaker sat on it replaced the weedy looking one on the wall.

You can have many type of plasters as well as retardants to prevent from heat. If you want to use retardants then we are the best in manufacturing these retardants and you can buy it from any online store within your range.

Thanks for the replys

The thing is it was done in fire board and not sand and cement because it is an inset fire sitting in a false chimney breast. The flue just goes up a couple of feet then through the wall.

Have been looking at an everbuild product called purimachos heat resistant plaster.
Wondered if anyone has used it?
Hopefully beable to skim it over existing plaster and get a good finish without the small cracks .

Cheers

Yes I have used the everbuild purimachos after first keying the background ( in your case dry multi finish) with Wickes bonding agent. You can also use pva and the product goes on at 5mm and is very slow setting.

There are lot of online companies those are offering fireplaces but i am suggesting one of the best online company and shop that provide you best thing and help full Heat Resistant Plaster Help! so just go through the url given below ........vitcas.com

You can have many type of plasters as well as retardants to prevent from heat. If you want to use retardants then we are the best in manufacturing these retardants and you can buy it from any online store within your range.

That's brilliant pal, your first post on here , you're obviously trying to sell a product . Which is fine by me , however with english language skills as poor as that , i for one would never buy a product off you.
I have no problem with people who struggle with their grammar and spelling but to not be bothered enough to check it ,doesn't bowed well for whatever it is you're trying to sell me.

Couple of Vitcas questions,

it only recommends using on their render but can you use it on a sand/cem/lime render?

Do you apply like multi or is it completely different? Advice on application appreciated.

Does the render have to be completely dry before application? If so do you pva/WBA/blue grit render before skim?

Finally, I understand you should apply 300mm around outside of breast as well, so you use it and multi in one spread?

You can put all the modern s...t you like on it do it in fat lime plaster ,works for the last 2000 years it's simple

Status
Not open for further replies.