Having a website..

Members online

eox

Afternoon campers, just a question didn't know where to post this but eyoh
What is everyone's thoughts on a company website or is it another wasted expense as I'm looking in to advertisement and ways to get my name out there other than word of mouth?

It's a good idea, but only when you can afford it. They can be done yourself to save money, but to be honest I've yet to see a self made on that didn't look like it.

Word of mouth is best, then tell people in the real world and on social media and get the word spread. It's free so nothing to be lost as it just takes a bit of time.

I would suggest if you're starting out My Builder is useful to get on. You only pay for leads that you're shortlisted on and depending on where you are you should get a fair few sent to you.

It's also worth contacting a few builders nearby and letting them know you're about. Sometimes you'll drop lucky and get something. Most of the time it'll be another slow burner. Also worth mentioning that all builders are the devil incarnate, but sometimes you have to dance with the devil. ;)

It's worth bearing in mind that you're at the hardest point and it can get you down. Starting from scratch is hard, and most people fail at that point.

Probably the best bit of advice I can give would be to only spend money that's absolutely essential at the start. Fancy web sites, advertising, posh van etc can come later. Your number one (only) priority is to get work, and get paid for it.

Thanks mate totally agree just wordering people's thoughts on it just starting out in want to get my name out and bring in the Bucks

A website is a must have, it gives people a bit more confidence your not going to disappear over night. A well built website will pay for itself in no time but like what's been said a s**t one won't look good speak to @Danny he will build you one for £150 :)

It's a good idea, but only when you can afford it. They can be done yourself to save money, but to be honest I've yet to see a self made on that didn't look like it.

Word of mouth is best, then tell people in the real world and on social media and get the word spread. It's free so nothing to be lost as it just takes a bit of time.

I would suggest if you're starting out My Builder is useful to get on. You only pay for leads that you're shortlisted on and depending on where you are you should get a fair few sent to you.

It's also worth contacting a few builders nearby and letting them know you're about. Sometimes you'll drop lucky and get something. Most of the time it'll be another slow burner. Also worth mentioning that all builders are the devil incarnate, but sometimes you have to dance with the devil. ;)

It's worth bearing in mind that you're at the hardest point and it can get you down. Starting from scratch is hard, and most people fail at that point.

Probably the best bit of advice I can give would be to only spend money that's absolutely essential at the start. Fancy web sites, advertising, posh van etc can come later. Your number one (only) priority is to get work, and get paid for it.
Wise words, Although I'm a builder but no devil lol, I'm also starting on my own , Got a months work ahead of me starting Monday , For the first time in years a Monday can't come quick enough, Ye start to worry for no reason if your sitting about!!

A website is a must have, it gives people a bit more confidence your not going to disappear over night. A well built website will pay for itself in no time but like what's been said a s**t one won't look good speak to @Danny he will build you one for £150 :)
I'll have a think about it I see all this Facebook and Twitter pages but no one has an official website so makes me think does it warrant spending money on a page a .com name etc a lot of output on cost to see none coming back....

Important to know that you'll get little to no return on a website for quite a while possibly years unless you have loads of money to advertise via Google Ads,
I've had a few websites but it's not a quick thing before any return.

No good if youve got a website like mine....comes up on page 5 in a search

Definitely work well if your willing to put some effort into it your self, Danny builds good sites and takes care of them. Mine got hacked and even though He was on holiday Danny fixed it had the hackers crushed [emoji122] get one and you can put your own time into making it work well

Definitely work well if your willing to put some effort into it your self, Danny builds good sites and takes care of them. Mine got hacked and even though He was on holiday Danny fixed it had the hackers crushed [emoji122] get one and you can put your own time into making it work well
you could be 60 by the time he does it !,bit like waiting for a mug !lol

Last edited:
I had to explain what a dirty sanche and a rusty trombone are to a client today

I presume the 'client' wasn't benefitting from your plastering skills? Branching out into a niche area of the leisure and entertainment industry Oli?

Lol... an aged site will always rank better than a new site... get one as soon as you have the money and then when you really need it it should come up trumps...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Important to know that you'll get little to no return on a website for quite a while possibly years unless you have loads of money to advertise via Google Ads,
I've had a few websites but it's not a quick thing before any return.
Not true, if it's s**t fair enough and also depends where your trying to target, rather than trying to target the whole of your county just concentrate on your area. Copying someone else's can mess you up, I rang a guy this week who's home page mirrors mine but told him to leave it that way coz I'm changing mine :)

If/when you do get a website sorted it's important to make sure that you can add text and pictures to it yourself.

A decent website builder will set up an admin page where you can go to add things without needing to know anything about coding etc.

If/when you do get a website sorted it's important to make sure that you can add text and pictures to it yourself.

A decent website builder will set up an admin page where you can go to add things without needing to know anything about coding etc.
My new site is being built on Wordpress so I will be able to access mine :) like to be in control of it for once but to be fair it's my son who builds them so don't really need to be worried about being mugged off.