have only napped twice!! :( need help

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

hail hail

Private Member
Sad to say I've only did a napped finish twice in my plastering career and been asked to price a job tomorrow and maybe start next week after this skimming job.

Any exterior rendering has been either a sponge finish after rubbed up or pebble dash.

What I remember about napping is that I rub the wall up as normal with the float then when time to run the sponge over it, I use the napper sponge instead with using small amount of water then suck the finish out so it gets its napped pointed look. I've also to add lime in the mix to bring the fat up but as for the mix, I forget so any tips lads.

Don't want to look like a right cuntyfcuk turning up only knowing 90% of the work so all help is well appreciated.

its when you get a sponge that has a handle(one the tilers also use), throw small amount of water over your floated render then rub it up with the sponge float and create a suction and lightly pull it off to create a small pointed effect with the fat of the wall. Best way i can describe it. Do yous not do this in uk or is it called something different ?

its when you get a sponge that has a handle(one the tilers also use), throw small amount of water over your floated render then rub it up with the sponge float and create a suction and lightly pull it off to create a small pointed effect with the fat of the wall. Best way i can describe it. Do yous not do this in uk or is it called something different ?

not something I have done...

I have heard of a napped finish but never knew what it was.

Think you would have to have the mix quite 'fatty' to get that that finish.

If your using a new sponge float trim the edges very lightly with a scissors to stop any marks being left on the wall.The mix we use is 4.1.1.If I can I float it twice before I knapp it.It's amazing the difference the second floating makes.Hitting it at the right time is crucial,just as it's starting to firm up.One man might manage small sections on his own but on bigger walls and gables it would be more difficult to do without leaving joints.There are four of us working together so on the bigger areas at least three of us will knapp.I'm sitting here looking out at rain.i I won't be knapping today.

Get someone in who knows how to render.

Suppose I may get someone in who knows what their at then lol. I can render but as you can see with the replies, its not a common thing. Most builders are happy with just finished up with rubbing up with a sponge but we've came across a few who want it napped, no point in losing a job because of a small change. I've done it before but forget the last fine details so why not ask on here to refresh my memory. Its not like I'm going in blind and guessing it!!

Do as Nicm says.
I only float it once, but try and float it a bit greener than you normally would.
The sand is crucial, the coarser the better I would say if your in UK as I haven't used sand in UK that would be suitable.
Make sure when you bring fat up its not just water and it has some 'substance' to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have only napped twice!! :( need help

Do as Nicm says.
I only float it once, but try and float it a bit greener than you normally would.
The sand is crucial, the coarser the better I would say if your in UK as I haven't used sand in UK that would be suitable.
Make sure when you bring fat up its not just water and it has some 'substance' to it.

What's the mix, is it the 4,1,1 mentioned above.

Isn't this finish reduce the chances if getting cracks. Don't know if that's site bullshit but heard this from few aul timers before
I'm not sure if it reduces the chances of cracks but one thing for sure is you will see less waves than a sponge finish.

As big K says sharp sand is very important as the fat/nap will shrink away to nothing otherwise. This time of year you need to have panels on early as need a bit more time than smooth/sponge finish, have in the past added small bit of lime to scratch to improve suction for this purpose ,take on small panels till get the hang. A second float can really improve as sponge float makes a consistent contact with wall making for consistent nap.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

As big K says sharp sand is very important as the fat/nap will shrink away to nothing otherwise. This time of year you need to have panels on early as need a bit more time than smooth/sponge finish, have in the past added small bit of lime to scratch to improve suction for this purpose ,take on small panels till get the hang. A second float can really improve as sponge float makes a consistent contact with wall making for consistent nap.

How are you finding using Tapatalk?

My kids turned me on to it, as 4G has been rolled out through most of my catchment , stone mad for flyfishing and tying and am on a number of related forums, Tapatalk makes uploading pictures/files quite easy, automatically saves drafts if need take calls etc. can't complain I guess.

So basically, do a 4/1/1 mix, throw on, wait till floating time, let sit, float again then its time to go over with the sucksion sponge with little drop of water, rub it with this sponge then pull of the wall lightly.

Yeah pretty much, you need to keep bringing the joint with you ,the drier it becomes the more water/spongefloating is required to bring up requisite fat, equally when it's quite soft a wet float is all you'll need. This time of year don't go mad wetting wall prior to coating ,a light misting is plenty, difficult to nap with artificially lighting, oh yeah, pair marigold gloves for the paws can save a great deal of pain.

Bet it's a bugger to get it looking uniform all over though.
Just practice really plus the correct sand. Can take some time for two guys to nap well together on same gable/large pannel, sometimes easier if one guy stays just in front 2nd floating perhaps with a lick of water ,speeds up the napers job no end.

I think it is mainly used in West of Ireland and Midlands these days as down south here in Cork the sand is totally unsuitable, here we 2nd float and lightly sponge, down to how clean the local sand I guess.

I don't like the napped finish. Even when is says nap finish on the plans I still just float and sponge. No one has pulled me up on it yet.

Spoke to a couple of architects about this, on private builds, and they said they put 'nap finish' on the drawings as standard, two architects I spoke to didn't even know what it was!!

Status
Not open for further replies.