Hardwall problems

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryT

Hi fellas.
Reasonably new to this forum so be gently, I'm a sensitive sort of fella

Been plastering on and off for quite a few years,a decorator by trade in the past.
Recently took down old lath and plaster ceiling in my own house and hacked of old plaster.
Brushed walls down and gave them a couple of coats of pissy PVA .
Floated Hardwall,ruled off and scratched up.
Thing is, that despite the pissy PVA coats, the whole floating coat crazed up like crazy like I've never experienced before.
Some of it has quite clearly not adhered to the wall but other parts have.
Is this a case of still too much draw in old brickwork and should I have given it a bit of a stronger PVA coat ?
I understand that Hardwall should not be used with any bonding agents apart from something weak to kill off too much draw.

Bags in date so no problem there, so any suggestions welcome.

All the best
Gerry

When I'm floating I only spray the walls with water hardwall should handle the walls then also I code in with the devil float pretty quick spraying more water on if need be also try an skim it same day

More pissy coats I'd say, some of that old red brick make a sponge resemble a stone regarding suction

Walls are dusty that's why you experienced crazing hardwall shouldn't be used were pva is present. next time make sure walls are dust free slightly dampen wall skim it within a couple of hours good to go then .

Thanks for your replies fellas.

Bagrat: I did brush down the walls thoroughly enough I reckon, but you could be right.
With regard to the use of PVA and Hardwall,I notice on the BG website that they say if suction is high then it's ok to use Gyp-Prime, so I assumed(wrongly ?) that it was a similar product to PVA just more expensive.

Thanks BigK and Madmonk, much appreciated.

I have used a weak mix of PVA to kill suction on old brick work before using hardwall in the past and not had any problems[despite what it says on the bags} .this world is just crazy man .:frenetico:

Long time ago I was working on a navy base they called for hard wall plaster in all the bathrooms - long curved walls, it was the middle of the winter and they had really large propane heaters blowing out hot air near all our walls. It was drying out the hard wall in a lot of areas before it could set, causing the plaster to want craze and delaminate. Somebody did a little homework and had us mixup some alum water (potassium aluminum sulfate) and use a sprayer to fog it onto the hard wall after we were done laying it on. Took care of our problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.