Hardwall on solid walls and tiling onto hardwall

Pothole

Hi there
Please can someone help! I've joined this forum as a lay person as we are struggling on our house rennovation and have little knowledge so hoping one of you can please assist!!!

We have a 1930s detached house with solid brick walls (no cavity) and the builder has hardwalled half of the house. We trusted our builder as he has rennovated friends' houses but now read about how hardwall is not great on solid brick walls due to its ability to lead to damp. Can someone please tell me whether this will be an issue going forward? I think they used PVA directly on the bricks before applying the hardwall.

Another issue we have come across is that the tiler will not tile directly onto the hardwall. He said that we need to get it skimmed or dot and dabbed with moisture resistant plasterboard. If we use the plasterboard method, how should this be applied to the hardwall to ensure that it is bonded securely to the hardwall? If we go for skimming, our tiles are pretty heavy around 20kg per sqs metre so at the limit of what skimmed plaster can hold so we are less keen on this route.

Your thoughts are gratefullly received!!!!!

Is your house rendered on the outside, hardwall shouldn't of been used,it should of been lime plastered or stud walls especially on the externals,in terms of the bathroom is this hardwall fresh that the builder has laid on or is it old that needs hacking off

Ye as above.. As far as your bathroom skimmed 20 kg will be fine i certainly wouldnt tile on hardwall.. although fresh plasterboard will take the weight upto 30kg you could do with using moisture resistant boards if you decide on plasterboard or a hardie backer board. Also Will need tanking around shower area...
Im sure your tiler would have made you aware of this

Is your house rendered on the outside, hardwall shouldn't of been used,it should of been lime plastered or stud walls especially on the externals,in terms of the bathroom is this hardwall fresh that the builder has laid on or is it old that needs hacking off
Thanks for your reply. No render on outside, sadly. As we are where we are, could we use a sealant on the bricks to reduce the moisture which penetrates them?

Ye as above.. As far as your bathroom skimmed 20 kg will be fine i certainly wouldnt tile on hardwall.. although fresh plasterboard will take the weight upto 30kg you could do with using moisture resistant boards if you decide on plasterboard or a hardie backer board. Also Will need tanking around shower area...
Im sure your tiler would have made you aware of this
thanks for your reply. The builder was not happy when we said that the tiler would not tile on the hardwall. The builder is convinced that you can just put a primer on top of the hardwall then tile on top of this primer. Do you know if this can be done? Thanks

here's jonny j bonding!.jpg

thanks for your reply. The builder was not happy when we said that the tiler would not tile on the hardwall. The builder is convinced that you can just put a primer on top of the hardwall then tile on top of this primer. Do you know if this can be done? Thanks
The guy that replied to you called The Apprentice actually works for British Gypsum. If you don't take notice of his advice, well no words.