Hard wall over existing walls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olican

Private Member
Speaking with a plasterer who insists on giving existing walls a tight coat of hardwall before skimming. I've always used bonding when doing this. Had it in my head that you can't do this hardwall, am I wrong?

I often am [emoji15]

Why either ? Hardwall is for breezeblock in generał Usage i Think .perhaps a small bit Of bonding in the finish for body if the wall is a little Rough, Floated and set is 6 hrs

Last edited:
Bonding is for low suction and hardwall for high suction unless it's changed I would go with the bonding but used drywall a few times recently and just pregrit with the rest of the wall.

The argument between 2 spreads on this job was one saying that a tight coat of hardwall over painted walls would fail, only ever used bonding myself. I was just curious to see if this was the case

It actually says on the hardwall bags that it shouldn't be used in conjunction with a bonding agent. Who wants to use hardwall instead of bonding anyway.

I have had to render out a number of vaults where the only opening was the vault door. Damn stuff smells like rotten eggs when there's no air movement.
Do you have similar or the same stuff in the us? It does stink I've had customers ring me up at night saying they think I've drilled into a sewage pipe :ROFLMAO:

Do you have similar or the same stuff in the us? It does stink I've had customers ring me up at night saying they think I've drilled into a sewage pipe :ROFLMAO:
I pretty sure it's the same stuff . They used to lath out a house with wood lath and then bead it out and put in screed strips which they also used as nail strips for moulding. Then they browned out the walls & ceilings with 'Hardwall Plaster' Gypsum Plaster & Sand then you might see a Keenes cement finish or a lime putty finish. https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/...finishes/plasters/red-top-gypsum-plaster.html

Status
Not open for further replies.