Hammering nails into ceiling plasterboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubman

I hope this isn't a silly question. I put up some 4x2 (12 mm) plasterboards on a small porch ceiling, and 2 of the nails bent as I was hammering them in - they might have hit either the head of a nail holding in the wooden lats, or a knot in the wood. Anyway I see that they are bent over more or less in half and I hammered them quite hard to get them below the surface before rendering. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to pull them out and just put another nail nearby to replace it, and fill in the hole that's left with plaster - but then I thought it may not be a good idea if the wet plaster touches the wooden lats, or would it be better to leave the bent nails in , if they don't seem to be loose, just adding an extra nail nearby? Thanks.

if I took the nails out, would it not be ok just to fill in the holes with normal skim plaster? Or maybe better just to leave them and add an extra nail nearby?

just one other question: is it necessary to use the compound to cover the nails, or would normal skim plaster be ok?
Or would it be ok to cover them with small pieces of sticky joint tape and apply normal skim plaster over that?

If they are galvanised clout nails you can skim over them, when they get left bent the zinc can flake off and they can start rusting.
If the damage is only minor, like 20mm holes then scrim n skim will be ok, but you should be applying two coats of skim.

When you say scrim, you mean put a small piece of self-adhesive joint tape on it? You say the nails could rust - so would it be better to remove them and fill in with skim plaster or would I have to use the "mud" compound? No problem if the plaster or compound gets in contact with the wood lat? Thanks

FFS just skim it!!!! :-\

Only joking mate ;) but your worrying over nothing.
Just tape it & skim it if you really want to!
And if it rusts painter will sort it with some stain block.

But you've got a few options:

1) Pull out bent nails put a screw/nail next to it then fill hole with bit of bonding then skim.
2) Leave it in tape over bent nail & skim ceiling.
3) ..... Errrr..... Just skim the f3cker ;D

80m2 ceilings and all nailed, ooh the joys. Mind you the worst bit was pulling the old l&p ceilings down and then de-nailing that!!!!!

The Apprentice said:
80m2 ceilings and all nailed, ooh the joys. Mind you the worst bit was pulling the old l&p ceilings down and then de-nailing that!!!!!
A spades always good for the old nails

Bruce Willis said:
The Apprentice said:

you cant say spade anymore.
you have to call them shovels

irish_spread said:
Bruce Willis said:
The Apprentice said:

you cant say spade anymore.
you have to call them shovels

Can you say cheese ::) ::) ::) ::)

kebab king said:
Thats what sets me aside as the best Irish, you should see my scaffolding.lol

I'm all for underpinning Dubmans job if u wanna give me a hand.
Just in case, 2 be sure 2 be sure ;D

Staining from the plaster fixings showing through the paint on the plaster

Hi all,
About five years ago we had an extension on the house, which involved a fair bit of
plastering.

The problem which I hope you can help me with is that in two of the four rooms we can see dark staining showing through the paint on the plaster directly over the nails which were used to fix the boards to the ceiling.

At several points the plaster has cracked and fallen off the head of the nail leaving me with a very attractive pockmarked roof.

I have had a look at the top of the nail head and I can't see any obvious rust and it looks like a galvanised clout nail, so I am at a loss to think what might be causing it.

Almost every nail head is starting to show through and the missus well impressed.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing it and or how I can sort it I would be very grateful.

Cheers

When you hammer a clout nail, more often than not the galvanised coat can start to come off, the moisture in the plaster can cause it to rust, not sure why its taken this long though. The plaster coming off the nails is either the nails weren't put in propely or movement above has caused them to pop. To fix it get another nail with a large head, turn it upside down and hit it onto the other popped nail. Then get some dry wall screws and put them in close to the popped nail to stop the movement from the board. Fill and sand the holes. Any rust can be covered with stain block, apply it, let it dry then paint as usual.

Was going to say missed a joist but wouldn't be every one....... Err Best check just to be on the safe side

or the timbers were wet wen they were boarded if it was an extension with new roof

Staining might be from lack of insulation above the ceiling ie condensation on the nails. The pock marking is known has nail popping, try pushing the ceiling near the nails and I think you will see the boards move towards the joists. Push up the board solidly against teh joists, knock the nails in properly and fill.

Staining might be from lack of insulation above the ceiling ie condensation on the nails. The pock marking is known has nail popping, try pushing the ceiling near the nails and I think you will see the boards move towards the joists. Push up the board solidly against teh joists, knock the nails in properly and fill.

First off many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply, the benefit of your experience is really appreciated.

In respect of the wet joists although it was very cold when the lads put the roof on it wasn't wet and the timber itself didn't appear to be wet.

In respect of the "movement" angle I have noticed a fair few settlement cracks at both ends of the extension. In the meantime I will get up my ladders and see if there is any movement in the boards themselves.

Thanks again

Sorry forgot to add, the lads stuck in a raft of Kingspan, so I hope inslation isn't going to be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.