Hairline Crack on Chimnet Breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotsocks7

Reskimmed a living and dining room early April and bumped into the customer today.
Asked him if everything is ok and said fine apart from a small diagonal hairline crack that has appeared on the chimney breast this last week.
I am going to nip round after work tomorrow to have a look.
There were quite a few hairline cracks on the chimney breast before i skimmed it so covered them with scrim,pva'd and applied 2 coat skim of multi as normal.
The chimney breast has a back boiler and this was turned back on the day after i had skimmed it.
Do you think this could be a reason as to why it has cracked?
Was going to scrim tape the crack and reskim the chimney breast again tomorrow and advise them to leave the back boiler off a couple of days.
What do you guys think?

Cracks happen thats life, the boiler may have something to do with it but could be a whole diffrent amount of reasons. I wouldent reskim it for a hairline crack. run a stanley knife down the crack, not to deep just to score it. Bit of fine surface filler. wait to dry, sand it back and paint. Done a few that way. no worries!

thats why every time i see a customer i turn around and walk the other way

spunkybum said:
thats why every time i see a customer i turn around and walk the other way

Wish I had.
Crack was about 18" long took literally 2 mins to score and fill over.
Did'nt fancy waiting around for it to set so will nip back again tomorrow night to sand flat.
Good job its close and I have to pass my local on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.