Gypsum hard wall or sand and cement to block noise coming through my third party wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam69

I am going to plaster my party wall in my semi detached house. I have chipped all the old plaster off back to bare brick. Now the neighbours aren't the most quiet people in the world so looking at blocking out the noise a bit, I not going to dot and dab or build a stud wall out from the wall.

Just looking to see what people would think would be the denser product to apply to the wall to make it quieter in my house. Gypsum hard wall option or sand and cement option?

Thanks!

Sound travels through timber so under the floor use something rubber so sound hit rubber and then as said above ,just an idea

Might be worth looking at some acoustic plastering systems mate? If that works out too expensive?? A gun and some bullets to sorts the neighbours may be a cheaper option?? :RpS_thumbup:

John can Gyproc be used on old brick work with lime mortar? it says it can be used on aircrete blocks and aggregate blocks but doesn't say anything about normal brick work. Thanks

Imo dont waste your money , because the sound will travel through floor and ceiling voids and timbers , save your money and put it towards going detached instead of giving it to british gypsum on products that make little or no difference .

Whats the reason for not studding and insulating. Space saving? Did some work at media city soundproofing editing suites last year. Used stud frame and jablite insulation. We also covered the lot in a sound proofing fabric for extra noise reduction. Might not look good on your wall though and it was quite expensive for the fabric

Some adverse logic there by the way, sound will travel more efficiently through a denser material.....is why sound travels further in the ocean than in air. As other people have said, unless you're gonna properly sound proof it, it'll make no noticeable difference what you float it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.