Gypsum and clay plaster

Members online

roybennett

Can I mix gypsum with clay plaster ? What would I need to be aware of and how would it interact. I have 15 bags of both multi finish and Bonding left over from drywall finish , instead of just dumping them I would like to combine them with some clay plaster I have that is being used on straw bale, but don`t know how they will interact,, any clues anyone ?

Can I mix gypsum with clay plaster ? What would I need to be aware of and how would it interact. I have 15 bags of both multi finish and Bonding left over from drywall finish , instead of just dumping them I would like to combine them with some clay plaster I have that is being used on straw bale, but don`t know how they will interact,, any clues anyone ?

trt it and report back :coffe:

Can’t help you on this one I’m afraid. BG have not tested it and I have never tried it.
You could try it on a test bale I suppose but what would or could happen over time is anyone’s guess. My thoughts would be that it could compromise it and I personally wouldn’t want to take that risk.

Why would you not just return or skip or even give away such a low value quantity of material rather than try to mix it with a completely different type of product? I can't imagine for one second that a chemical setting material such as gypsum plaster would be compatible with clay.

Why would you not just return or skip or even give away such a low value quantity of material rather than try to mix it with a completely different type of product? I can't imagine for one second that a chemical setting material such as gypsum plaster would be compatible with clay.
Thanks and I agree, Neither can I with regards to the mixing, that`s why we used clay where we can, so many chemicals in use when building today its a right toxic mix if your not careful. The value doesn`t come into it, not price wise anyway. Up here in the remote North west of Scotland dumping stuff just creates an eyesore in an area of outstanding beauty, licensed tips are very few and far between and it would only go to landfill anyway, returning to store involves a 350 mile round trip. So we will try a test area, it was interesting, we tried to give it away to fellow builders, but even though it is in date, been stored properly and was free, no one could be bothered to collect it and use it on another job, I can see why there is so much wastage in the building trade now, tried to give away lots of surplus building materials over the years, but unless its nearly a truckload of stuff or a pallet full of timber no one wants it, which tbh I found a bit of a surprise at first, now I know better, time is money and that rules just about everything. If we can`t mix it, it could have been used as a fertilizer being just like a powdered gypsum, bit like plain plasterboard waste, but there are so many chemicals in them now they just poison the soil, and water so can`t use it that way either. I hate waste and like to repurpose or recycle everything for my kids sake but hey ho you can`t win em all. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Thanks and I agree, Neither can I with regards to the mixing, that`s why we used clay where we can, so many chemicals in use when building today its a right toxic mix if your not careful. The value doesn`t come into it, not price wise anyway. Up here in the remote North west of Scotland dumping stuff just creates an eyesore in an area of outstanding beauty, licensed tips are very few and far between and it would only go to landfill anyway, returning to store involves a 350 mile round trip. So we will try a test area, it was interesting, we tried to give it away to fellow builders, but even though it is in date, been stored properly and was free, no one could be bothered to collect it and use it on another job, I can see why there is so much wastage in the building trade now, tried to give away lots of surplus building materials over the years, but unless its nearly a truckload of stuff or a pallet full of timber no one wants it, which tbh I found a bit of a surprise at first, now I know better, time is money and that rules just about everything. If we can`t mix it, it could have been used as a fertilizer being just like a powdered gypsum, bit like plain plasterboard waste, but there are so many chemicals in them now they just poison the soil, and water so can`t use it that way either. I hate waste and like to repurpose or recycle everything for my kids sake but hey ho you can`t win em all. Thanks for the reply anyway.
I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that the chemical set of gypsum plaster is entirely natural, @The Apprentice ?
I can see your dilemma, but I still wouldn't be mixing it with the clay.
Your house, your choice.

tight c**t @Casper will take it for nowt

You back on G** tinder tonight old boy.
benny hill.gif