Guarantee

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guarantee mine for life nothing should happen to it if its right i cant do nothing about structural cracks ;)

Guarantee the work carried out but not the product. Finish and all the rest don't come with one so don't give one, simple.

never ever been asked to so i never mention it. but what are guaranteeing your work against. You cant against cracking on board or walls, damp unless you are damp proofing. How long does BG say there plaster is good for??.

simplybesty said:
never ever been asked to so i never mention it. but what are guaranteeing your work against. You cant against cracking on board or walls, damp unless you are damp proofing. How long does BG say there plaster is good for??.
never been asked either, but now im on my own i didnt want to wait for someone to ask for a guarantee and not have an answer ready.

If you buy something from the shop it usually has a 12 month guarantee
so after a year if they phone you up tell them to shove it

After reading this I had a look on Trading Standards website and this was what was written:

If goods or service faulty

If the trader has not carried out the work with reasonable care and skill and the goods concerned have been supplied or installed by the trader, you are entitled to repair, replacement, a partial or full refund of the contract price.

If the goods are faulty within the first 6 months of the contract, it will be for the trader to show he is not at fault. After that time, or if the service is faulty, it is for you to prove the problem.

Maybe this is helpful?

patcher said:
After reading this I had a look on Trading Standards website and this was what was written:

If goods or service faulty

If the trader has not carried out the work with reasonable care and skill and the goods concerned have been supplied or installed by the trader, you are entitled to repair, replacement, a partial or full refund of the contract price.

If the goods are faulty within the first 6 months of the contract, it will be for the trader to show he is not at fault. After that time, or if the service is faulty, it is for you to prove the problem.

Maybe this is helpful?
Good post! Now burn it ;D

they have to pay for someone to look and right a report about the defects which costs them big time then they will have to take you to court.

simplybesty said:
they have to pay for someone to look and right a report about the defects which costs them big time then they will have to take you to court.
True but Besty, could you live with yourself? ;)

24 hr guarantee with all internal plastering.I explain there could be some cracking etc.The work i do is to the right standard/spec whereever possible,cutting no corners reduces problems.
Most my problems have been Artex related reskims ,cracking of corner beads,and the usual shrinkcage /drying out cracking in places.
Expalin to the customer all pitfalls and the best way forward youll reduce your complaints and problems,cuttign corners and working in wrong weather conditions doesnt help.

on old work point out all defects to clients first ie cracks etc, explain to them that you are following manufacuturers specifications to repair ceiling etc if client is a bit balshy make sure you photograph the job in stages ie 1st coat pva, 2nd coat pva, taping over cracks and skim or bond and skim and keep a record of the job just in case. same as above for new work, doument everything and give client a print out of manufactures specs... dont be a scape goat for other trades especially when using monocouche over blockwork... read and follow specs if you do this then you should be able to gaurantee the finish also if it cracks and you have covered your ass and documented the process then there is obviously another reason for the fault.

some great points gents a fast van is always the way forward lol i usually give 6 months but only for plaster falling off which hasnt happend yet but as for little cracks round beads sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt but by telling them gives them a good piece of mind that if something does go wrong they will have it fixed for free which usually creates a smile and keeps a good name for your business which is what its all about isnt it

I agree with most of the points above - if you tell the customer up front - plaster has a high water content and as it dries it shrinks - this may cause hairline shrinkage cracks - i've done what I can with scrim - and i am happy to come back and fill these cracks with joint cement (additional cost) - it stops them thinking - oh my god the wall is about to fall down!

Some of the shrinkage I have seen in new build houses built by the big boys is horrendous but they still get away with it most of the time! They give them a booklet from the nhbc which explains all about shrinkage!

Status
Not open for further replies.