Greetings from West Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

topfloor

Hi
I joined the forum cos I need some plastering advice about my ceiling.

Looking forward to receiving some good, and probably very varied, advice

I've been searching some of the forum but haven't found what I'm looking for yet

Cheers :RpS_thumbsup:

Hi Topfloor

If you cannot find what you want...... ask.....

good to hear that you are looking though!

enjoy the fun - I hope you get the help you are after!

you will fit in fine here then..... most of the regulars suffer with various cases of temper and or rage..... usually on a Friday or Saturday evening...

what are you on about?

OK.... sorry

Thought you had been bitten by or a dog ........ or was just making a general admission..... :huh: LOL

stay on here and your will read all sorts of strange stuff.... some of it could be deemed an admission - of sorts... :RpS_scared:LOL

Wash it off with Sugar soap and paint on a Stabilzer, some B&Q sell it or you may need a decoators merchants.

And welcum by the way.

Welcome, re the distemper, pva over it and then when it pulls in scrape it off, repeat till its all gone, then you can sugar soap it..

Wash it off with Sugar soap and paint on a Stabilzer, some B&Q sell it or you may need a decoators merchants.

And welcum by the way.

Welcome, re the distemper, pva over it and then when it pulls in scrape it off, repeat till its all gone, then you can sugar soap it..

Are we allowed to talk shop in this forum? :RpS_unsure:

O heck you got me started now

Well, under the peeling emulsion in the lounge was a rippled soft distemper. I think the ceiling had been wetted at some stage and maybe the distemper had migrated into peaks and troughs. I scrubbed the ceiling with hot soapy water about 6 times and used a window scraper blade. Messy. I think there was also something wierd under the soft distemper. I feared it might be hard distemper which nothing is meant to be able to stick to (apart from soft distemper). By then I had had enough. So I painted the whole ceiling with Dulux primer sealer, then white emulsion, followed by a coat of flwxible ceiling paint. 2 years on paint has not cracked or flaked yet.

It's grade 2 listed building hence my reluctance to do anything more eg reskim. Overboarding definately not allowed without listed consent

Now I'm on the kitchen.

johniosaif:

Thats a very interesting method of removing distemper which I have not come across before.

ha ha ha ha........... reading this forum may make it look like a non shop place LOL

Ask away my friend - lots of experience on here!!

where are you based anyway?

Are we allowed to talk shop in this forum? :RpS_unsure:

O heck you got me started now

Well, under the peeling emulsion in the lounge was a rippled soft distemper. I think the ceiling had been wetted at some stage and maybe the distemper had migrated into peaks and troughs. I scrubbed the ceiling with hot soapy water about 6 times and used a window scraper blade. Messy. I think there was also something wierd under the soft distemper. I feared it might be hard distemper which nothing is meant to be able to stick to (apart from soft distemper). By then I had had enough. So I painted the whole ceiling with Dulux primer sealer, then white emulsion, followed by a coat of flwxible ceiling paint. 2 years on paint has not cracked or flaked yet.

It's grade 2 listed building hence my reluctance to do anything more eg reskim. Overboarding definately not allowed without listed consent

Now I'm on the kitchen.

johniosaif:

Thats a very interesting method of removing distemper which I have not come across before.
It's common enough, some use steamers which can damage the plaster underneath, distemper is the bane of refurbs,some plaster straight over but its too risky,my way is hard work especially if the ceiling is bumpy as the blade needs flat surface to work, google it and there loads about it..

A plasterer recommended that i skim over the ceiling. He said he would rough it up first with a stanley knife to penetrate below to get a good key

Is that a valid method?

A plasterer recommended that i skim over the ceiling. He said he would rough it up first with a stanley knife to penetrate below to get a good key

Is that a valid method?
Not on my job, what can happen during troweling up, a blister /bubble appears, you cut this out and it runs and runs creating a diameter of a metre plus, you might get several of these, would you pay money for this? Instruct him to remove it as per my idea or have it removed by labourers which is more sensible,but you must ensure it is done properly, I often have people saying ,we removed what we could which was very little..

You need to get it of and stabilise in my opinion, otherwise as Cockerny boy said you will almost have difficlty when troweling up.On the plus side when it peels it normally brings the distemper with it.

Bit like this one did.

Attachments

• Photo-0028_1.jpg
    Photo-0028_1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 251
That was only after applying WBA, thats when i found the fkin distemper, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That was only after applying WBA, thats when i found the fkin distemper, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
We all have been there, at this point someone always says" overboard ,its the only way" same problem now with paint been put on without the first coat been watered down, peels like distemper, I have had to take all paint from walls and ceilings,

Status
Not open for further replies.