Green plasterboard!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Chaps, I've got to skim a friend's kitchen which he's boarded himself (badly!) and on the window reveals he's used some offcuts of green coloured plasterboard. Is it Aquapanel board and can you skim the green side ok?

Also, in one place where three bits of dabbed on board meet in one place(!), it's about half an inch out of flatness and forms a sort of small peak!! Is it best to dub out around the 'peak' with Bonding and feather into the surrounding boards before skimming? I've told him you'll never fully disguise it, but he just said he doesn't care if it doesn't look like a palace, lol!

The green stuff is moisture board ain't it.

We've skimmed it before on site, not sure if they had it in the spec on a job we was on that it had to be pva up frist, can't remember.

skim it it will be fine. do what ever you can to make a good job out of it as he will moan like hell once he paints it....trust me!.

If it's MR board you are not supposed to skim to it unless you use a bonding agent , and chop the lump out and patch rather than dub the surrounding area out

richardbrown said:
i have been on a million jobs where its just been skimmed and not sealed first
I know mate , but you know what it's like giving advice on here, if it's not 100% correct you get all sorts telling you your wrong mate ;) you know what i mean :D

Thanks for all your replies, guys - that's put my mind at rest. Just back from B&Q with some skim beads and clout nails. A pro-plasterer behind me in the queue with about 15 bags of Multi on his trolley got chatting and told me my clout nails were too short for fixing the angle beads coz they need to penetrate into the studwork behind. Had to go and change them and then had another bloody long wait in the queue when I got back ::) Tapped him up for a couple more tips before I left though ;) Wonder if it was essexandy - he lives in Chelmsford too :) Just thought, though, some of the angles are formed by dot and dabbed boards so there aren't any studs behind them anyway! Plus I thought the nails were only to hold the bead in place and it was the skim that stuck them (?)

If the reveals are dabbed they will probably have a cut edge of plasterboard fix a nail into the cut edge tight to the arris of the bead that will hold it . If you where in a queue at Mcdonalds it was Andy for sure .

Phil said:
Thanks for all your replies, guys - that's put my mind at rest. Just back from B&Q with some skim beads and clout nails. A pro-plasterer behind me in the queue with about 15 bags of Multi on his trolley got chatting and told me my clout nails were too short for fixing the angle beads coz they need to penetrate into the studwork behind. Had to go and change them and then had another bloody long wait in the queue when I got back ::) Tapped him up for a couple more tips before I left though ;) Wonder if it was essexandy - he lives in Chelmsford too :) Just thought, though, some of the angles are formed by dot and dabbed boards so there aren't any studs behind them anyway! Plus I thought the nails were only to hold the bead in place and it was the skim that stuck them (?)

Not me Phil, I'd have told you to use a staple gun then it doesn't matter whether it's studwork or dot & dab. I even even told people to put the skim beads back on the self and sold them some at half the price out of the van.

Status
Not open for further replies.