Got to be England’s turn

One of the lads on a footy forum put this up, made me smile.

In the immortal words of Vinnie Jones said "Its been emotional"

Last German game I was surrounded by Germans, tonight it was English. Even though they won, eventually, those poor bastards went through hell and then somewhere worse. First the injury time equalizer sucked the life out of them, then Henderson nearly killed them. When he missed his pen, my God, utter, utter despair filled the room. I'm so lucky to be Welsh, here, we either win or we don't, its a mix of joy and frustration but whatever the result we dust ourselves off and get back to work. We don't carry the weight of failure around with us like the English do just pure national pride, win or lose.

Supporting England though is very different, its a hard, tough thing to have to endure, its a weight not a joy. My English have hope and they shout loudly about it, but believe me, no matter how loud they shout, its always a faint and distant and always clouded with the frustration and sadness of an expected failure. I watched this game with 16 English men and Women, the room was full of hope and excitement deep into injury time, then Colombia equalized. I felt the room grow thick with utter sadness and despair, it was a sad sight watching all hope leave my friends in one combined sigh of resignation. It is happening again, its happening again.

The whistle eventually blew for the end of extra time and everyone expected the inevitable and the intake of Lager increased 10 fold, as all expected their hopes to be dashed again on a white spot 11m from the goal.

Then Henderson missed, men cursed, some joining their wives and teared up while others sank to the floor. After Colombia hit the bar most stared dead eyed at the screen as Trippier walked to the spot, most wishing they were a bit trippier themselves so they wouldn't have to feel the pain when he missed.

You can imagine the next couple of fist punching minutes yourselves, when Dyer hit the back of the net I realized what it must have felt like on VE day. Beers and tears were spilled, bottles and glasses flew (glad we weren't in my house), wives were kissed, didn't matter whose wife it was, chairs, sofas, tables were upended as the party leaped screaming through the patio doors into the garden where English Men, English Women, one Welsh Man and a German bird jumped so hard we jumped ourselves back in time to our childhood where we stayed for a while without a care in the world.

We had a great party, I've just spent £185 on a taxi, its 07:40 and I'm off to bed with that German bird I mentioned, yep I pulled. I love my English friends
I watched it in the pub, it's the best atmosphere I can recall seeing in a long time, horns beeping outside, nothing like football to unite people wether your a road sweeper or lawyer it's a great leveller.

I watched it in the pub, it's the best atmosphere I can recall seeing in a long time, horns beeping outside, nothing like football to unite people wether your a road sweeper or lawyer it's a great leveller.

ive watched in the pub twice great atmoshere.
had a barby for belgium match.
promised my kids id stay in and watch last nights match.
all great nights.
but without a doubt watching my kids get all emotional and excited was the best of the lot.
ROLL ON SATURDAY :birra: