got one of those calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
The builder phoned this morning saying, the premier surveyors (nhbc) type of people wont pas the outside as we have rendered to the floor, I said its block on the outside and timber framed inside, there should not be a problem, checked with the brick layer and he said there is a cavity tray and a dpc further up, the plans showed render to the floor, premier say they want it cut off at the bottom now.I reminded the builder that he instructed us to render to the ground when we enquired.Its annoying and difficult to undo if they insist..

It's not about the money, its returning to a finished job feeling like a school kid, I asked the questions at the start and the bricklayer is annoyed now to as it was built to plan, other wise he would of left engineering brick at the base, finished concrete block at the base is far from the norm, also the dpc was not visible, with a vapour membrane also between the block and the timber frame which is tantalised wood, I see no issue,

Not being funny mate but I would have at least asked if they would want drip beads and take it from there

Never bridge the dpc level. Plans are a guide. Knowledge is key. You'll have to pay the extra. On a new build dpc is always at ground floor level. Never take render below or damp will rise up trough the render and make it hollow! Lesson learnt!

Didn't mean you'll, meant he will have to pay as he told you to render to the deck! Hope you challenged him at the time though?

Never bridge the dpc level. Plans are a guide. Knowledge is key. You'll have to pay the extra. On a new build dpc is always at ground floor level. Never take render below or damp will rise up trough the render and make it hollow! Lesson learnt!
Not quite so simple as that, I spoke to my surveyor and he said given its concrete block,given its water proof, given its got a cavity try,given its also got a dpc higher up, given the vapour membrane inside, there is no need to worry, buti take your point, I can only ask what people want, follow the spec and plans, you can say ignore plans and do what you believe is right but I have seen so many crazy things done by designers and architects , they do not ask for my input, also I assume that the plans I am following are approved,I also ask and recommend what I believe is correct, I assumed bell cast bead from the outset but he said no, straight down,I spend my days on site saying this needs to be done and that just to be over ruled, foreman says, no, builder says not in budget etc etc.

i got one at the moment where the house is built into the hillside and the front drops away, so the dpc is 1 meter high at the front.The owner wants the bell bead dropped lower to look good to the eye.

Yeh ive dropped the bead below the dpc before if thats what they want for aesthetic purposes but i make sure the clients aware i wont guarantee it.

That's the best thing to do if they've asked you to go below dpc level then they sign liability. It won't be good to the eye when it's fallen off! Unless it's a breathable render then the damp will rise right trough the render and attack the timber frame regardless of vapor barrier ect.

if they told you to render down passed the damp course and to the floor then its their fault and should have known better. If you asked them about this then its still their fault give them a estimate for putting the work right. What i do is bead one brick above the damp course and also bead one brick below then render to the floor, it may look a little odd but you should never render over the damp course and this way covers you, and if the builder/client does not like it then get it in writing from them that this is what they would like you to do and to cover the damp course over. good luck to you but if i was you only do the work once they 've okayed your estimate as it sounds their fault.

if they told you to render down passed the damp course and to the floor then its their fault and should have known better. If you asked them about this then its still their fault give them a estimate for putting the work right. What i do is bead one brick above the damp course and also bead one brick below then render to the floor, it may look a little odd but you should never render over the damp course and this way covers you, and if the builder/client does not like it then get it in writing from them that this is what they would like you to do and to cover the damp course over. good luck to you but if i was you only do the work once they 've okayed your estimate as it sounds their fault.
Regular customer, doen circa £250k worth of work for him over the last ten yrs, got eight new flats coming up soon, its just a case of it needs to be sorted but its annoying..

Status
Not open for further replies.