Give young people a chance

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geason

Give young people a chance and encourage them into the plastering trade. Have you thought about an apprentice? If so we can help you find the right person for the job.

hi, do you only offer apprenticeships for young people? I've had a look at your website and it says up to 24, but can you give any advice or help for someone older? (I am 33)
Riah

hi, do you only offer apprenticeships for young people? I've had a look at your website and it says up to 24, but can you give any advice or help for someone older? (I am 33)
Riah

Hiya, yes we offer adult apprenticeships to aged 24+ however we only get part funding therefore there is a customer contribution required and the cost various depending on the course you need. Pm me your number and ill give you a call if you want.

the reason a lot of plasterers don't have an apprentice is because they can't afford one because they are just about earning their own money especially on site where rates are naff when I started out everyone had a lab when I packed up site work two years ago my bro was the youngest plasterer on our sites at 28

The nvq is free now through experienced worker practical assessment. The colleges get funded £500 from Cskills if you console the and it takes you 1 day and a half to complete it

I have had in the 90's many an apprentice and only one lasted. Most quit after a few weeks or the first cold snap. When an apprentice starts they know nothing and get paid more than they can earn. You do hope over a period of time they can catch up and start to repay but when they leave you look back and think? 'What was that about'?

Unless you get a grant to cover the initial losses you wonder if it is worth it.

the reason a lot of plasterers don't have an apprentice is because they can't afford one because they are just about earning their own money especially on site where rates are naff when I started out everyone had a lab when I packed up site work two years ago my bro was the youngest plasterer on our sites at 28

I am working on changing this...

What a hero

I worked with someone doing the research into just this and there is a massive huge oversight in the current system where it costs £22k a year per student and out of all the students only a few make it to be spreads...

The money would be better spent providing keen apprentices a wage for when there is not the money on the jobs... You could cut that cost in half and the apprentice is happy and the employer is happy as he does not have to put into account pricing in his apprentice...

I remember being told I could not come on certain jobs when I was learning because there was not the money on it... sometime I would just come along because it interested me...

The whole training scheme needs an overhaul and with a bit of work it can work better for everybody

Dan I mean this in the nicest way possible, honestly i really do. But you're not going to singlehandedly save the plastering trade. Sorry to say but short courses, influx of foreign labour and general rough bastards are doing More damage than the good of sorting out apprenticeships can fix

Dan I mean this in the nicest way possible, honestly i really do. But you're not going to singlehandedly save the plastering trade. Sorry to say but short courses, influx of foreign labour and general rough bastards are doing More damage than the good of sorting out apprenticeships can fix
Is this aimed at me . X x
i thought you loved me

the greed of company's we used to sub to did my nut in it wasn't until I spoke to a qs for one of the big builders I actually realised how much we were being took for idiots by them, the worm needs to turn and bite these gits good so they don't forget !

When I started in 1972 I was paid £4.75p a week and the tradesmens wage was £27.00 .

I was eager and spent all my savings on a full tool kit but I was not given any training at all in my first year. I was more of a labourers labourer. I would have thought it was in my bosses interest to train me asap but nope!

I later found out he got a CITB grant hthat covered 90% of my wage in my first year. No wonder he was not interested in training. It was not until I started my 3rd year of my 4 year appenticeship he started to show interest but by then he was having to pay me more than the grant he received.

So such a grant would make taking an apprentice more appealing it could also attract cheap labour like the old YTS schemes offered.

lol thats not the aim... there is a lot going on behind closed doors lots of ideas being thrown around and I am not going it single handedly either :) I have support there :D

1 step at a time :D

CITB offer registered customers a minimum of £6000 per apprentice they take on for 2 years, there is also an age grant you can claim down of £1500 all this money is to help employers pay for their apprentice wage and training. Training is fully funded for 16-18 yr olds.

If you want more info on this i can drop you an email.

When I started in 1972 I was paid £4.75p a week and the tradesmens wage was £27.00 .

I was eager and spent all my savings on a full tool kit but I was not given any training at all in my first year. I was more of a labourers labourer. I would have thought it was in my bosses interest to train me asap but nope!

I later found out he got a CITB grant hthat covered 90% of my wage in my first year. No wonder he was not interested in training. It was not until I started my 3rd year of my 4 year appenticeship he started to show interest but by then he was having to pay me more than the grant he received.

So such a grant would make taking an apprentice more appealing it could also attract cheap labour like the old YTS schemes offered.

I called the citb, as we are registered. They didn't want to know , told there local man to me will be in contact, not a bloody word . Complete joke

You guys are dealing with the wrong ppl there... Im telling u, gods honest truth im making citb customers a fortune yr in yr out for things you are already doing ...

I think its Geasons way of saying try doing it through them!!!

No its not actually !!! How can we do CITB through us ??? We are a training provider, we deal with citb everyday in behalf of our customers.

They are their own provider. I also need to deal with the citb team whether its apprenticeship, upskilling, off the job etc etc and i know for fact that customers of theirs are getting all apprenticeship grants which cover cost of apprenticeship training. Of course their is a contribution for over 19s but citb pay the grant to cover employers costs.

Did you pay it? I got one for over 3 grand and told them to stick it up there arse. Never heard a thing since.

some of the large plastering firms would try to dock their sub contractors 2.5% citb payment. but only if the subbie was daft enough to accept money stopped from his payment.
other plastering firms built in a 2.5% deduction into the targets that they would offer you.

My old firm tried to stop it and when I refused to pay it they dropped the old well if u don't there's the door gaffer saying why should they foot the bill so I said why should I ? your the ltd company not me as I was told by my accountant ltd company's have to pay but subbies at their discretion don't know if it's true or not ? Others paid it I still had work haha fuk them

My old firm tried to stop it and when I refused to pay it they dropped the old well if u don't there's the door gaffer saying why should they foot the bill so I said why should I ? your the ltd company not me as I was told by my accountant ltd company's have to pay but subbies at their discretion don't know if it's true or not ? Others paid it I still had work haha fuk them
@BetterTAX may know for sure :D

Last edited:
so in short. no the only body that can take the levy payment from you are the CITB themselves

so in short. no the only body that can take the levy payment from you are the CITB themselves

correct. citb is only for main contractors. no can stop anything from a subbies payment without the subbie agreement in writing.
only a fool would agree to that.

It's unfortunate now that this does seem to be the norm on sites a friend of mine has started paying it I told him not to but same again been threatened with no work he's obviously paying tax and now citb and retention aswell which are a extra 6% per week in stoppages out of his wage it's wrong

It's unfortunate now that this does seem to be the norm on sites a friend of mine has started paying it I told him not to but same again been threatened with no work he's obviously paying tax and now citb and retention aswell which are a extra 6% per week in stoppages out of his wage it's wrong
Tell him to print off that page a put the link up and show it to the contractor showing that the it is actually not legal for them to take citb levy

Status
Not open for further replies.