Getting sick of site work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sick of site work! Really fed up with the contractors messing me about and paying shocking prices. Also I don't get thought of any better for doing a bang on job then the other plasterers one coating get all the work!! Really getting to me now.

Really need to get off site for good and just work for myself. It's so frustrating because I don't get enough to completely sack off site all together. What is the best way to start yourself? I've tried pretty much everything but still hard to keep the work keep coming in.I need more bigger jobs instead of your normal bedroom re skims etc.

That's the thing with private work, you will never have enough of it, need to mix it up with small builders, small developers, pros and cons with all but its about been content, don't think any of us like site work, expecting appreciation , No Chance

I'm really sick of site work! Really fed up with the contractors messing me about and paying shocking prices. Also I don't get thought of any better for doing a bang on job then the other plasterers one coating get all the work!! Really getting to me now.

Really need to get off site for good and just work for myself. It's so frustrating because I don't get enough to completely sack off site all together. What is the best way to start yourself? I've tried pretty much everything but still hard to keep the work keep coming in.I need more bigger jobs instead of your normal bedroom re skims etc.
I'm the same mate I'm doing social housing work it's shocking and I'm only getting little jobs not getting enough to keep me going or I'd go myself I've been working for myself before but had to go on sites because I couldn't get enough work

I think you need to be persistent with domestic work. Work follows work and you'll need to keep at it. Try anything free, I advertised in freeindex based on a forum members recommendation. Brought in 2 decent jobs but more importantly 2 New happy customers who may refer me to someone else. Be clean and professional and Domestics will always come in imo

That's the thing with private work, you will never have enough of it, need to mix it up with small builders, small developers, pros and cons with all but its about been content, don't think any of us like site work, expecting appreciation , No Chance

Spot on!

The more decorators, plumbers, builders, kitchen fitters ...etc that have your number, the more your phone will ring!
The downside is "the job is ready now" and if you can't help, they go to the next spread on their contact list ... and you don't hear from them again!
Factor in running round like a headless chicken looking at jobs & picking up gear for a fifty quid job that isn't actually ready when you get there. :-(

Site work/domestic work? It's as long as it is broad at the end of the day!
Turn up, make a mess, fart, swear & go home OR get fecked around, dust sheets, moaning & pick up gear/look at jobs instead of going home.

I like to keep my options open, a few weeks of one & I'm ready for a bit of the other!

I always get private work but mostly all little stuff. All the builders I've done work for all wanna make money on me and want it dirt cheap. Thing what really does my head in is there is a few plasterers in my local area and they are stacked out with and have worked booked in for 6 months ahead. And to be honest they ain't the best! Another thing that right does my brain is all these silly sites like my builder,my hammer & rated people. I've got a website and was top of google but since this sites have been on I've been pushed right down the page!! All these sites seem to be a joke if you ask me! Every person wanting there job done ASAP and done for peanuts! But the scary thing is is there is plasterers out there who will work for that!!! WE HAVE ALL HAD IT!!

I always get private work but mostly all little stuff. All the builders I've done work for all wanna make money on me and want it dirt cheap. Thing what really does my head in is there is a few plasterers in my local area and they are stacked out with and have worked booked in for 6 months ahead. And to be honest they ain't the best! Another thing that right does my brain is all these silly sites like my builder,my hammer & rated people. I've got a website and was top of google but since this sites have been on I've been pushed right down the page!! All these sites seem to be a joke if you ask me! Every person wanting there job done ASAP and done for peanuts! But the scary thing is is there is plasterers out there who will work for that!!! WE HAVE ALL HAD IT!!
Try to remain positive, only a few here are allowed to speak of pestilence and famine..

when you start up a domestic / small builder business it will be slow at first, the best time to try would be at the start of a boom period.
my yongest son and myself work together, my other sons work with their pals, my brother works with his sons, all different plastering business, all run differently. we do pass work between us, and for some jobs we swap like my youngest son does not like screeding , so he would go with my brothers gang with my brother coming to screed with me and so on.
i have to go out doing quotations in the evenings. after a while it will become self generative. one small builder i have done his plastering for the last 40 years.
site work is to much aggro. for me. i do have to do extra work running a domestic business but i know what work is mine and payment is the day the work is complete.

Been nearly 10 years since ive done site work its took me years to build up a few contacts.the last few years the scenario is if you cant jump when they say they will drop instant! Its all about money they want cheaper and quicker ! Fellas ive worked for 10 years would drop me if I start moaning ! So ive learnt to keep me mouth shut and get on with it .sometimes I think wish I could be on site the grass is not always greener! But I still love the job

When we do site work we moan when we do domestic we moan, its all **** :)

ive been at it since 86, been self employed since around 93 ish,built contacts up but like someone said most will drop you if someone comes along cheaper.

anyone seen Chopper? ('winge, winge fackin winge...') :)

Im kidding....be appreciative you got site work and the odd domestic job at all.

The working life game is quite simple really....do something you love...if you dont, it will eventually break you and leave you regretting you didnt do something about it.

Its never too late to change what you do day to day for a living...we are all where we should be right now. If we were meant to be somewhere else doing something else, we would be somewhere else doing something else, right?!

Vent it and smile or be that change and make it happen.

Coffee, twix.....back to the mix :RpS_thumbup: (said in an Alan Partridge-esque manner)

Feckin love site work me, if your organized and motivated theres proper money to be made,
on the other hand If your workshy, sick, lame, lazy or a bit just a bit dim you could always try site management, lol

Feckin love site work me, if your organized and motivated theres proper money to be made,
on the other hand If your workshy, sick, lame, lazy or a bit just a bit dim you could always try site management, lol

I love and hate it.

Worst is when your on a job that run like **** and has no set program. Does me in when we are ready and keen and there is nothing to go at but you cant take anything else on coz your contracted

Im with you here mate lately ive been making good money on sites. new builds where the prices are usually poor. Im working on a redrow site in manchester getting there everyday at 7 30 smashing it until about 2 :RpS_biggrin: my brother on the other hand is a joiner 1 year out of his time and makes £400 a week doing new builds aswell, lol, can't say i earn much more than that

Im with you mate ive been earning good money lately on new builds which is a bit strange to say. i get in about half 7 and smash it til about 2 working right through etc. my brother is a joiner 1 year out of his time and earns £500 a week on new builds aswell not gonna lie i don't earn much more than that lol

when you start up a domestic / small builder business it will be slow at first, the best time to try would be at the start of a boom period.
my yongest son and myself work together, my other sons work with their pals, my brother works with his sons, all different plastering business, all run differently. we do pass work between us, and for some jobs we swap like my youngest son does not like screeding , so he would go with my brothers gang with my brother coming to screed with me and so on.
i have to go out doing quotations in the evenings. after a while it will become self generative. one small builder i have done his plastering for the last 40 years.
site work is to much aggro. for me. i do have to do extra work running a domestic business but i know what work is mine and payment is the day the work is complete.

Without doubt the best advise anyone will give you about the boom period! Put all you can into it when labour get back in :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.