getting a youngun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
i think the times come for me where I cant do this shite every day on my own!!!

firstly the boredom and doing all the grunt work I think has finaly taken its toll on me....

used to work in a pair on a casual basis but my mates packed in, ive also put a lad through an apprentice a few yrs ago but he packed up in the end after qualifying...

so anyway...I don't want the commitment per say I just want some little grunt/school leaver bit of pound notes that comes when theres work and stays at home when theres not...

don't want to teach him owt unless he particulary wants to just want him fetching pva/beading, mixing, cleaning and fetching and carrying?

questions

1) do young kids like this exist anymore
2) how little do u recon could get away with paying south Yorkshire rates
3) where the foook do I get 1 from????????

zombie

Oddly I got my
last guy off of a FB group asked in a plastering group and he was recommended ,he is 60 but is good enough for mixing,fetching,cleaning etc,better than a lot of the 20 something's I have had, whether they are english,Ukrainian,irish,Bulgarian ,Polish,alabanian,it's very difficult to find one, I sacked a few and a couple jacked over thelast year or 2 ,I think part time now, week by week ,month by month ,if the stay good if the leaves dont really care that much ,for youto get someone justto fillin every now and then during busy periods is a tough order,workers want to be full time,shirkers want enough for beer or coke.

I agree john

I can see me having to go down the approaching college route for 1 again but tbh its a apain in the arse 1 day a week straight away you loose whilst there at college and I just don't want the responsibility of commitment as when works quiet they still want the dough

I'm 37 and been doing this since 16,I've had a few labourers working with me between ages 16-20and to be honest they've driven me mad! All they wanna do I dick around on there phones all day and then go home as early as possible and that's if they turn up for work in the first place! I don't know about you guys but it will take me some serious convincing before I put any effort into teaching anyone about this trade again.

Problem with most they get on the trowel n think thats it im a plasterer now i want more money!!
Alright then you little **** float that wall eeeeerr u never showed me how to do it!!.......get back in your box gobshite plasterer indeed!!!:RpS_lol:

A the last firm I was at out of 7 apprentices 1 ended up with a job others all had the same opportunities but either got sacked or left for some reason or other! Some of the people you end up with are unbelieveable they do cause some stress.

I would never recommend setting one of your friends on either they seem to think they can do what they want and talk to you like your in the boozer!

I work on my own most of the time and at the min I'm not in a situation where I need someone full time and can plod along nicely without having to worry about another person,I do think we owe it to the trade at some point in our careers to put a young lad through their apprenticeship and I will do so when the time is right.if I ever need a lad I can usually borrow one from a builder friend or if I'm working for a builder one of their lads can give me a hand for a day or two.

I would never recommend setting one of your friends on either they seem to think they can do what they want and talk to you like your in the boozer!
definitely,it just causes problems,I've been asked many times by friends for work and have always said no and tell them it just won't work.

Not sure what you mean.i run a good ship and treat them well so expect the same back.they are good lads out there,just need a bit of luck finding them

Lol was just pulling your leg fair play to u they must have some mutual respect back for u hard to get these days as we all know most kids are d**ks these days

Lol was just pulling your leg fair play to u they must have some mutual respect back for u hard to get these days as we all know most kids are d**ks these days

I've think I've been very lucky tbh.
You can have a apprentice for free for a week on trial now to see if he will be any good

I think its quite funny with the young uns when u say go get the derby,straightedge,twitcher,float, ect they will go to the van come back and say what does it look like or come back with a floorscraper!! Must admit i do it on purpose!:RpS_lol:

its when you do a weekend job i find they let you down,when you tell them not go out because you'll know what will happen, end up with their mates back the house ,girls ,ale , drugs the lucky bastards

Not worth the hassle IMO. Done it half a dozen times but never again. All the PAYE bull, health and safety risks, holidays, sick days etc etc etc. Just work with other subbies.

I think they've got it easy nowadays I had to work with some real w###ers when I was an apprentice but I'm glad I stuck with it,I had one good apprentice with me for 5 years I even paid for his college and he did really well and when he qualified he buggered of and became a plumber maybe it's me:RpS_unsure:

Not worth the hassle IMO. Done it half a dozen times but never again. All the PAYE bull, health and safety risks, holidays, sick days etc etc etc. Just work with other subbies.

I suppose if your a 1 man band fair enough.i have 2 gangs so no one works on there own.always have a lab in each gang

Status
Not open for further replies.