gas pipe

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

S a plastering

Private Member
whats the rule on doing your own gas pipe putting in a new kitchen an need to altar slightly im good at plumbig dont want to really get someone in if i can do it ive heard you cann do it in your own house as long as your not makin money from it is this right cheers

It's illegal if your not gas safe, same as doing your own electrics if your not part p.
But that doesn't stop people making their homes death traps:RpS_biggrin:
Go for it mate:RpS_thumbup:

Years ago when i was plastering full kitchens i would unclip the freestanding cooker and move it out of the way,now its even illegal to do that so now i just leave it in.I had my new gas cooker fitted last year some pipe work had to be altered two bends added total cost with a comission on the gas eighty pounds,robbing b*******s supposed to be a mate as well!!!

Yeah I've done that before with the bayonet fittings on cookers.
Don't touch em now if there was a gas leak I'd be liable

big bone of contention with gas fitter and diy'ers alike for ages now.... its not illegal provided your competent, and since 'competent' isnt clearly defined it comes down to whether or not it works, or it doesnt (e.g. you blow your house up) so basically, as long as you dont blow your house up, make sure anything in the floor is coated copper and give it a drop test (with the manometer - easy enough) then you'll be fine, provided its your own house and not for financial gain (e.g. a property you rent out)

quote from that link nis...

To say that a DIYer should never do any gas work and always call in a Gas Safe engineer is politically correct, but one can imagine that a skillful and careful person might replace a failed thermocouple on a properly-serviced boiler on Christmas Eve with a degree of care and workmanship that an emergency heating engineer in a hurry with a couple more jobs to get to and a family to get home to, might not.

I know mate.
some people think they are competent though but don't know everything.
I know a bloke who thinks he's a competent plumber he fitted a boiler in his own house & had 7 water leaks on the pipework underneath the new boiler:RpS_laugh:
Now he wants to work on gas ffs:-0
There's lots of people out there doing bodge jobs on gas & electrics just because they think they know what they're doing.
Up to them anyway:RpS_wink:

i think the problem is with the definition of 'competence'...
it really should be 'gas safe registered' and to get registered I think not only have you got to pass all the exams, do the refreshers ever 3 years or so but you have to have worked alongside a registered gas installer for a decent period of time to get practical experience...

all that said, with what matey was sayin above, its well concievable that a diyer with the relevant information would do a better job than an rgi....

personally i love a bit of plumbing, gets the old cells working big time, theres so much to learn...
im seriously considering finding out just how much it'll cost me to get in that position, i'd defo need to work with a real good plumber for a bit cos some of the problems you can uncover can be absolutely mind boggling...
ive been trying to suss out how to convert a pumped heating/gravity hot water system to fully pumped with the help of a bloke on another forum whos a bit of a legend... once you get your head round how vented and unvented systems work its easy enough but its like owt else, its only easy when you understand the basic principles and theres so much to go wrong you wouldnt even think about...
gas appliances are the worst...
spillage (co leaking back into the room, not up the flue) can occur for the most obscure reasons e.g. opeing a door, turning an extractor on, opening a window a crack....

rgi i know went for his refresher...
asked him to do a spillage test on a boiler, it passed, then they went for a break....
came back in the room, asked him to do it again, 'eh? just done it' - 'DO IT AGAIN!!' - it failed..... so he looks all the way round this room and in the top corner, opposite side theres a 4" extractor, they'd turned it on.... simple as that.

I had to do some emergency gas work on a job where i'd been through a pipe in the floor with the disc cutter...
rings bob, 'just do blah blah mate and ill come and test it up when im done, then you can crack on'..
so i did... no worries...
bob turns up at teatime, im stood there with him while he does the drop test...
friggin water almost jumped out of the manometer...
'f'ck me, worst one ive ever seen' he goes... looked well shocked...
now im sh'tting myself at this point and he knew it the sly f'cker...
he'd deliberately not switched the boiler spur off and the thing was trying to light...
laffed his cock off he did... but he proved a point... i didnt have a scooby doo did i?

Why would you take the risk ? get someone in who KNOWS what hes doing , is it worth the few quid it costs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.