Garden wall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
Got a garden wall that a customer wants rendering, not overly happy as its single brick retaining soil, couple of cracks in places but no more movement in the wall itself.

I cant get a membrane behind the wall as she doesn't want her borders disturbed also the garden is tiny so restricted for space, would i get away with putting weep holes in the bottom of the wall, splatter coating some form of tanking, then 3 coating ? dub out / scratch with a mesh then top as normal ?

Whats out there tanking wise ? would this work ? would a SBR slurry scudded on be enough to hold back any potential penetrative damp instead of tanking ?

The drainage is pretty good as all under the slabs is soak away, and the customer reckons the face of the bricks never get damp "im not convinced" so would rather take measures to prevent it.

Newton mesh membrain is another option. Any damp/water that comes through will run down the brick to the floor an the render is kept dry on the front. It will also stop any salts coming through.

Or as you say 2/3 coats SBR modified tanking then 2 coat render over the top. The membrain has a mesh embedded to key the render and will also help prevent cracking.

Just been offered a bag of tanking slurry off @beddy However out of interest would an SBR slurry be enough to repel any penetrative damp ?? What ratio would you mix it at ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would give this a job a miss.

An sbr slurry will work and act as a tanking solution but there are other areas where this job can cause a failure.

There are no copings so there will be failure from the top. Look at the moss growing that will cause problems in the future and the muck that is in the surface of the wall.

I have had two of these offered me as quotes today but as failures. All down to design and the unsuitability for rendering. I declined to quote.

@Rigsby im coping it also mate for a drip. I've also considered swerving the job as everything about it goes against the grain, but the guys a mayor in a nearby town and can pull a few strings for me in other areas. Think ill quote it and explain to him its not ideal etc etc and see where we go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or give it a good jet wash ,because what ever you render it with, it will look the same in 12 months

@Rigsby im coping it also mate for a drip. I've also considered swerving the job as everything about it goes against the grain, but the guys a mayor in a nearby town and can pull a few strings for me in other areas. Think ill quote it and explain to him its not ideal etc etc and see where we go from there.
Have you used mono then ? no forget that mate ,go with your gut feeling ,i get work from being honest , tell him what you think ,your not happy to do it ,because a,b,c then go from there ,best of luck with it mate

Last edited:
Have you used mono then ? no forget that mate ,go with your gut feeling ,i get work from being honest , tell him what you think ,your not happy to do it ,because a,b,c then go from there ,best of luck with it mate

As Keith say's be honest with him. Even with copings unless there is a dpc under the copings you will get some water drawn down into the render. As you say this Mayor can pull a few strings but he also then could probably ruin you if it goes wrong.

Tell him because it is not tanked, got a dpc etc you cannot guarantee just to cover yourself.

Since the last couple of years the NHBC will not allow render on retaining walls due to problems that can develop.

Should you not have some weep holes at the bottom of the wall to release some of the water from the soil behind the wall??

Just a thought................think i read that some where

Should you not have some weep holes at the bottom of the wall to release some of the water from the soil behind the wall??

Just a thought................think i read that some where

Yes Arti your spot on Marra,weep holes in retainers to let the excess water run off ,FairPlay Marra happy paddys day

Status
Not open for further replies.