Garden Wall Rendering Querie

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peg

Started stripping these 2 large garden walls today, the existing render was put on around 2 years ago by another contractor and its starting to fail already. (See Pictures)

The walls are badly cracked and a lot of the paint is flaking off.

I noticed when we were stripping it the the walls seemed very damp, probably due to the high ground levels on the other side.

We're going to K Rend the walls but am now thinking off lathing it first due to the dampness as i'm concerned that the same thing happens again and i don't want to get caught out with it.

Any advice from you guys would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00241.jpg
    DSC00241.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 654
It looks like it is rendered to the floor , paint peeling common with the winter we just had. Your going to need wider copings. Do not see a stop bead unless under the stones , steps will be a problem rendering into them , rain will sit on steps. What is it brick or breeze. Can you add a drop of sbr in your mix.

garden walls /retaining walls will always have these problems ,some gravel behind the wall and some weep holes will help somthing like k rend will help to as its breathable and pre coloured

I think the best way would be to pull it down and rebuild in a frost resistant brick

I've not seen it since this morning as i stripped a very small area and left the lab to it but the wall was soaking underneath. Don't think there's any drip holes and definately no stop beads at the bottom of the wall, its rendered down to the ground. i'll have a look at it in the morning and keep you posted.

it's obviously a retaining wall, so needs tanking/drainage then rendering, covered this in many posts previously, do a search and all the info is there

Got this picture this morning, turns out there are weep holes but they were rendered over! :RpS_mad:

Attachments

• DSC00249.jpg
    DSC00249.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 753
Was thinking about tanking it, we do some damp proofing work but only internal and we work for the damp proofing companies. Can i use Delta Lath? and if so how do i fix it? Delta Plugs surely won't take the weight of the render?

Status
Not open for further replies.