Garden planters

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake0

Hi guys as I've said before rarely done externals only when serving my time and odd wall sand and cement.

Got some garden planters to do for a family friend coming up and thought this is best place to ask for advice as in a novice to rendering openly admired.

Just questions regarding the bottoms ? I.e stop needing before the slates go down what's the best thing to do? Sit a few mil above or straight down and let them lay flush?

Also it's sand and cement what's best option beading wise metal or plastic and best way to fix them on ? Stick or fixing. Cheers in advance lads

I would use plastic beads and stick them with the gear you are using. With regards to finishing the bottom I would take it down to the floor and then slate up to the render. Are you tanking inside of them?

i noticed a house that had been bucket coated. then they made some flower planters out of the insulation board stuck together with glue, scrimmed and bucket coated to match the house.
remember you heard it first on tpf.

Did one last year Keith, advised on tanking and the customer didnt want to know.Also this was on a main road and I cringe every time I drive past it.

Cheers lads I'll have to speak with him over the weekend I asked about a mono finish but he wants sand and cement

I've not long finished some, stop bead at the bottom, it was then decked upto leaving a small gap.

When they were built the builder dropped some damp proof membrane under the top course and lay it inside and had drainage holes in the base of them, I put a stop on upside down to the polythene on the inside.

Looked mega when done. The customers have only half filled them with soil and planted up so you can see the membrane and the plants are to low down, and there's dirty muddy hand prints all over it lol, it looks sh1t, don't know why we bother haha.

PL004.jpg

PL005.jpg

PL010.jpg

PL012.jpg

Planters done in mono look nice, but you have to paragaurd them or they look grubby in no time. We done a house last year that had 350 linear metres of planters that we finished in Parex BDL to match the house. The beading seemed to go on forever! The outer edge we sat 15mm beads on and the inner edge 10mm beading, this created a small fall back into the planter so the rain would keep the tops clean, and prevent runs down the face of the wall.

Thanks for the response anyway like I say don't venture outside with my trowel much haha, something I'd like to get into but the knowledge you boys have is years on me can only learn I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.