Gap between sheets (boardmate)

Members online

site work can go to extremes. housing being the lowest standard. with ministry of defence work they bust umpteen sub contractors.
I can see why it’s done and old school will do but how many wanna put a few clouts into stud to create the gap,not many i would think even though it doesn’t take that much longer it’s like a box screed I learnt at college very rarely would you see that on a big site more for the domestic old boys and again can see the reason for doing it but when time is money you know what will win

On a random one away from the topic I watched a bit about fred dibnah and his old school techniques and must say even for a northerner I actually warmed to him and have the utmost respect for what he did and how he kept it true to the core values of the trade didn’t succumb to the changing times found it fascinating myself

Yeah I'm only talking about the days old. Nowadays boards are always tightly butted.
I think you'll find that BG spec paper tape for ALL ceilings, but boards are still butted.

Yeah I'm only talking about the days old. Nowadays boards are always tightly butted.
I think you'll find that BG spec paper tape for ALL ceilings, but boards are still butted.
Bg spec when doing metal stud to not fix middle studs at 600 cos they have allowed a 5mm tolerance on the boards

On a random one away from the topic I watched a bit about fred dibnah and his old school techniques and must say even for a northerner I actually warmed to him and have the utmost respect for what he did and how he kept it true to the core values of the trade didn’t succumb to the changing times found it fascinating myself
I used to love watching his programmes.

Bg spec when doing metal stud to not fix middle studs at 600 cos they have allowed a 5mm tolerance on the boards
We're using both Duplex and standard 15mm boards on our current job and the Duplex are about 3mm narrower, bloody nuisance.

I seal the board edges if I'm skimming... The dry gypsum edge can be trouble I find. Think a gap is no problem if sealed and plaster sticks the to boards solid.. Jmo... Anything to make things easier!

i have only seen duplex at 12mm. a pain if they are being married up to 15mm boards.
Yeah 15mm Duplex. Even more of a pain is that they're only available in tapered edge.
Still not as bad as those b*****d 15mm fireline though.

Old school blokes I know will insist on it but on site it’s a case of throw them up I was under the impression that the gap was needed for when you old boys had to go round and hessian the joints, plus if bg spec paper tape would the gap be needed,me personally can see both arguments for it
The gap was so the plaster would squeeze through it and fix to the back of the board, like what happens and how a lath ceiling keeps its strength. I honestly forgot that's how I was taught in 88 with the clout nails, I was taught with hessian and bandage tape and the joints were buttered first. I think it either changed when fibre tape was introduced, tapered edge boards and maybe screws but I've got to say it's probably the right way.

When I was a kid in Ireland helping my dad I'm sure they left a gap between boards. They used a scrim similar to today's but it was green and not sticky.
I'm sure on 4'x2' slabs you didn't need to scrim either , just leave a gap for key.
Did you not use Lime

If i board it i price to paper tape, if someone else does it i may just scrim depends wether i like them and if they do a decent job ill paper tape it.