Free ruling vs screeds

Members online

Dr pepper

Generally put up vertical screens either end off wall and use these to fill in the middle.
But after floated small area 1.5m by 1m free hand earlier in the day, thought I'll up the anty a little.... took on 4m but 2.4 not massive but all over the show in and out
with bear brick, tile adhesive, gloss paint etc.

Big mistake got in a right state without a reference point/ screed to work off, was chasing high spots, hollows put on taking off just couldn't get me head round it!

Hats off to the people that can pull it off, but unless got a bead or a screed to work off just get lost within the wall?!

Lesson learnt stick to what you know!

Apologies for the essay!

I.ve got first big roughing job since working with bro in law in feb . I.ll get some pics. Prob last one for another 10 years

I've always done screeds aswell, learnt from old school plasterers I've only done free ruling on small areas really I wouldn't even attempt it on a decent area

I've always done screeds aswell, learnt from old school plasterers I've only done free ruling on small areas really I wouldn't even attempt it on a decent area
I was taught to keep the rule as flat as possible to the wall to avoid taking too much off, fill out where it’s missed, rule again, piece of piss!

Disagree...to get a wall A1 plumb & level, true ceiling, skirts & internals then screeds should always be used.

Free ruling is all good and well on price & half decent blockwork and we do plenty of it ourselves but will never be anywhere near as good as screened wall with string line.
Show me where i said it was as good