irish_spread said:
1 50mm

2 2=3

3 3=2

and 4/1

thanks Irish Spread, is the unbonded floor and the floating floor 2=3 mm thick,
sorry i dont know what the 2=3 or the 3=2 stands for

no its not.
Bonded means its bonded with adhesive or grout direct to existing substrate 30mm min

unbonded means it is on a membrane that seperates it from the substrate min 50mm

floating floor means it is on a membrane which has insulation under it min 75 mm fibre screed

you may here variations on thickness and some may not put a membrane down on insulation however screed manufacturers like tarmac will quote that spec

sprayit said:
no its not.
Bonded means its bonded with adhesive or grout direct to existing substrate 30mm min

unbonded means it is on a membrane that seperates it from the substrate min 50mm

floating floor means it is on a membrane which has insulation under it min 75 mm fibre screed

you may here variations on thickness and some may not put a membrane down on insulation however screed manufacturers like tarmac will quote that spec

Incorrect my friend ;) The difference between bonded and unbonded
is the membrane. Floating floor CAN

sprayit said:
no its not.

irish_spread said:
sprayit said:
no its not.

Incorrect my friend ;) The difference between bonded and unbonded
is the membrane. Floating floor CAN BE ON TOP OF A membrane or underlay (laminate floors
etc). Bonded is effectively' bonded' to the floor ;)

Frequently Asked Questions in relation to the use of Lafarge Cement range of packed products.

Disclaimer
The use of cementitious materials in mixes can be highly dependent on the individual circumstances of the job in question. The following FAQs are solely to be used as an initial guidance and nothing should be attempted without applying common sense. If you are not confident in your ability to carry out the job with safety then seek professional advice. ALWAYS make reference to the Lafarge Cement Health and Safety Information Sheets.

If you are unsure about anything then do please telephone the Lafarge Cement Technical Help Line (Tel: 0845 812 6232).
FAQ 1 : GENERAL
View

What is the difference between cement and concrete?
A good way to think of this is cement is to flour as concrete is to a cake. Cement is only one of the constituents of concrete and mortar. The various basic mixes can be defined as:
• Mortar – cement, fine aggregate (sand) and water.
• Concrete – cement, course aggregate (generally 10-20mm rocks), fine aggregate (sand) and water.
These can also contain various additives (such as lime) and admixtures (such as a waterproofer).

What are admixtures and how do I use them?
Admixtures are used generally by addition to the mixing water to alter the fresh and long term properties of cement based mixtures for a specific purpose. The most common admixtures are:
• Plasticisers: Increase the workability of fresh mixes for a given amount of water allowing less water to be used and thus greater long term strength.
• Waterproofers: Reduce the permeability of the mix.
It is essential that the manufacturers instructions are followed precisely as overdosing can have serious effects.

Close
FAQ 2 : APPLICATION
View

What are the precautions to be taken when mixing concrete in colder weather?
Generally, whatever the project is, work should not be attempted in temperatures below 5°C. It is also important not to use frozen aggregates that may have been freshly brought from a colder area. Care must be taken to ensure that temperatures do not fall below 5°C in subsequent hours as the mix may be vulnerable to a subsequent frost damage for a considerable time. Not only is it extremely difficult working in such conditions, but serious damage is likely to occur from the formulation of ice crystals within the cement matrix. Also in lower temperatures concrete will gain strength at a much lower rate, thus causing large delays before loads can be applied.

What are the precautions to be taken when mixing concrete in hot weather?
In hot weather it is important to prevent the mix from prematurely drying prior to a desired strength being achieved. If a mix does dry too quickly, then it may well shrink and crack, be weak, dusty and porous. It is thus important to damp down, cover and shelter from drying winds and direct sun. Hot weather also reduces working times significantly.

I don’t want to kill my fish by using a cement based product in my pond. What can I do to prevent lime entering the water?
Cements contain a small amount of free lime (typically around 1%) which may leech into pond water, potentially slightly increasing pH. To minimise lime exposure to the fish it is generally recommended that after placement allow the mix to cure and harden prior to refilling. Then, test with a pH testing kit to monitor and replace with fresh water if required.

Close
FAQ 3 : CONCRETES
View

I have been asked for a C30 mix. What is it?
C30 refers to a characteristic 28 day compressive strength of 30 N/mm². It depends on a number of factors including, among others, workability requirements, aggregate properties, specified minimum cement content, use of admixtures and additives. Nominal mix proportions for various purposes and requirements can be sourced through the Lafarge Cement Technical Helpdesk. If a specific strength requirement is specified trial mixes are strongly recommended.

I want to make a mix that is easy to place. Should I add lots of water to make the mix ‘sloppy’?
The addition of extra water to a mix will indeed make a mix that is far easier to place due to the higher workability. However, major problems can occur if this is carried out. Cement based mixes are generally stronger in the long term with the less water that is initially placed within the mix (low water:cement ratio). With a large water:cement ratio the strength of the mix will be reduced. Also, segregation (aggregate falling to the bottom of the mix) and bleeding (water rising to the surface) may occur, thus further reducing the mix strength and durability performance. In general terms use the minimum water content that allows placement and finishing.

Is it true that concrete can be overworked when finishing off to a smooth surface?
Concrete can be overworked when smoothing a surface finish. If overworking occurs (especially in high water content mixes), water is likely to rise to the surface causing a weaker layer to develop which reduces strength and durability. It may also cause flaking of the uppermost surface layer. It is thus important to stop smoothing a surface at the earliest time consistent with a suitable finish and use a relatively low water content in the original mix.

Close
FAQ 4 : MORTARS
View

When using Snowcrete my mortar has turned red. Why is this?
All of the solid constituents in a mortar (cement, lime, sand) will contribute to the final colour of a mortar. The use of a light, clean sand and lime is thus essential if a white final mortar is required. Trial mixes should be carried out in small disposable cups and an exact note of the various proportions and sand types marked on the cup. This will allow consistency and stop mistakes occurring when you finally find the colour you desire.

Can I add extra water to mortar if it starts to harden on the spot board, to make it more workable again, or should I throw it away?
Once the mortar has begun to set, the addition of extra water will not make any difference as the mortar is now non-workable. Even with or without the addition of water, if the set mix is attempted to be reworked, this will cause major damage to the structure of the mortar. This will in turn seriously affect both the strength and durability properties and so it is thus vital that the mortar is fully placed prior to the setting time.

Close
FAQ 5 : RENDERS
View

What is the difference between hydraulic and non-hydraulic lime?
Hydraulic lime, when mixed with water, gains strength in a similar manner to cement (chemically reacts with the water). Non-hydraulic lime, when mixed with water, forms a putty that can only slowly gain strength from exposure to air. Hydraulic limes are typically used in soft stonework or historical structural renovations.

What is the most general rule for renders?
The most general rule for renders is that each coat is thinner and weaker than the coat preceding it. Full mix designs and application methods can be sourced via the Lafarge Cement Technical Help Line.

Close
FAQ 6 : SCREEDS
View

How thickly and thinly should screeds be applied?
A floor screed is a layer of mortar consisting of cement and clean, sharp sand. Traditional screeds are NOT intended as a wearing surface and as such tiles, carpets etc are needed to cover the screed.
• Bonded, to a concrete base, 20-40mm thick.
• Unbonded, over a damp proof course, minimum 50mm thick.
• Floating, over insulating material, minimum 65mm thick.

A screed has recently been placed, so when can I lay carpet on it?
Traditional cement and sand based screeds need to dry out slowly (after sufficient strength has been achieved) prior to the application of the surface finish. Failure to do this may result in bonding and durability problems. A rough guide is to allow one day drying time for every millimetre depth of screed. Attempts to reduce this time by prematurely drying out the screed (e.g. heating it) are not recommended as this will cause a loss of ultimate strength and possible durability problems.

from the lafarge website

if you're being picky yes it is, however if you turned up to a job with 10 cube based on me specifing it was unbonded only to discover you needed a further 25% because it was actually a floating floor then i am sure you would see my point brother

sprayit said:
if you're being picky yes it is, however if you turned up to a job with 10 cube based on me specifing it was unbonded only to discover you needed a further 25% because it was actually a floating floor then i am sure you would see my point brother

I am quite picky. I would always ask for the spec in advance
and if it was a big job, the Bill of Quantities ;)

Thanks for the job offer but you can get someone else to
do your screeding from now on.
I'm off to the pub :D

Status
Not open for further replies.