Floating up a front of a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty34

Afternoon everyone , hope everyone is busy . just wondering what you more experienced guys think really . i picked up a job last week to re render a front of a house , customer hacked it off ( which suited me just fine lol :RpS_wink:). Now its being done in sand and cement ( the house is built of stone by the way ) , now i was gonna use a 4 to 1 mix on the scratch coat with waterproofer etc ( 3 in 1 ad mix basically ), probably have to put on a 2nd scratch coat then , was gonna use another 4 to 1 or maybe a 4.5 to 1 ( with waterproofer etc again ) , then for the top coat i was gonna use a 5 :1:1 ( sand , cement , lime ) or maybe a 6:1:1 mix . ( it's a fine down finish by the way ) . just wondering wat you guys think of the mix ratios , my m8 normally uses 4 to 1 on every coat , but surely thats to strong on the top coat and is just asking for crazing and cracks everywhere :RpS_scared: . i was always taught those ratios anyway . and whats your views on waterproofer in the top coat ?? yes or no ??:RpS_unsure: i've also been hearing about throwing some fibres in the scratch mix ?? any thoughts ? im just trying to cut down the chance of heirline cracks and crazing basically :RpS_lol:

I would be wondering why it was being redone firstly? You say it's onto stone, therefore youneed to make sure your gear adheres to the stone and well maybe it should be a breathable render, I'm sure more experienced guys will be along soon to put me right..

just wear and tear diesel m8 , its old pebble dash render , gotta be nigh on 20 year old . a lot of the houses around the area have had the ewi work done on em so are looking brand new . i think he was feeling left out with the old dash look lol

yeah i know mayti m8 , but all the houses i know around this area r all sand and cement render or dash , no lime render .they're all fine and still up and solid 20 years down the line .:) but i know wat u mean m8 . ideally lime render would be the way forward , i hate putting s/c on stone :RpS_unsure: theres always that small possibility of a complete fcuk up :RpS_cursing:

we rendered a house for an elderly couple a few weeks back. the council had told her that if she wanted her house rerendered that she would have to have ewi to meet the new insulation requirements. she could not afford ewi.
she knows that i have unsign written vehicles so we got the work.

why dont you just do it in lime then if you know its wrong, you could set a trend to all those other houses that have been done in s/c:rolleyes).
where is the house?

we rendered a house for an elderly couple a few weeks back. the council had told her that if she wanted her house rerendered that she would have to have ewi to meet the new insulation requirements. she could not afford ewi.
@malc has this new requirement come into force everywhere? We've been approached to do a hack off and re-render job recently and have thought I ought to check with the council first, it's in Chelmsford by the way so not far from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
the house is in south wales m8 , up in the valleys about 20 mile from swansea :RpS_laugh:, and the customer wants s/c, so thats wat he'll have , hes a big bsatard so i ain't gonna argue lol . it'll b fine tho m8 , sbr is good stuff lol ,and i won't chuck it on 2 thick :rolleyes) i was just wondering how other spreads go about this work with their ratios and stuff everybody has their own methods. i was more interested in wat people thought about waterproofer in the top coat and these fibres people are raving about to b honest , do you use waterproofer in the top coat m8, and fibres in the scratch? :)

thanks malc . i'll look into it and let the customer know . theres none of the ewi work around this particular valley now they've moved on elsewhere . it was a kind of regeneration scheme i think . but thanks 4 bringing it up

the house is in south wales m8 , up in the valleys about 20 mile from swansea :RpS_laugh:, and the customer wants s/c, so thats wat he'll have , hes a big bsatard so i ain't gonna argue lol . it'll b fine tho m8 , sbr is good stuff lol ,and i won't chuck it on 2 thick :rolleyes) i was just wondering how other spreads go about this work with their ratios and stuff everybody has their own methods. i was more interested in wat people thought about waterproofer in the top coat and these fibres people are raving about to b honest , do you use waterproofer in the top coat m8, and fibres in the scratch? :)
this reply was 4 jrplastering by the way lol :RpS_lol:

@malc has this new requirement come into force everywhere? We've been approached to do a hack off and re-render job recently and have thought I ought to check with the council first, it's in Chelmsford by the way so not far from you.

i do not know much about this requirment, it was the owners of this house that went to the council. tendring council, with the house in dovercourt. being a couple in their 80s did not want to over spend on ewi. this was just a standard property not listed.

yeah weve used fibres in the scratch before or bedded mesh into the scratch, only very rarely do we use waterproofer in the top coat most of the time just put some lime through the top coat to make it nice and creamy

sbr then scratch then next coat tends to pull in so maybe waterproofer in top may give you slower setting?

yeah weve used fibres in the scratch before or bedded mesh into the scratch, only very rarely do we use waterproofer in the top coat most of the time just put some lime through the top coat to make it nice and creamy
yeah i normally just use lime in the top coat myself m8 , might give the fibres a try on this job . cheers 4 the reply anyways

not had a call back yet one the fibres or mesh so in my experience there good

Once you hack off a certain percentage internally or externally what you put back on has to come upto current U values cant remember what letter regs, Most properties built before these regs changed do not meet the requirements. I wouldnt contact the council because you will make them aware of what you are doing and will have to jump through hoops. PS the hoops are very small but you should be fine ;) ive not looked into regs for a long time so things may have changed.

Once you hack off a certain percentage internally or externally what you put back on has to come upto current U values cant remember what letter regs, Most properties built before these regs changed do not meet the requirements. I wouldnt contact the council because you will make them aware of what you are doing and will have to jump through hoops. PS the hoops are very small but you should be fine ;) ive not looked into regs for a long time so things may have changed.

Yeah I'd heard that this was coming in, but not all over the country at the same time, as is this our usual disjointed way. What worries me is that I'd all so heard that it was the person carrying out the works responsibility to make sure that they were complying with current regs not the property owners.
I don't mind jumping through any hoops needed as long as they're not to high off the ground and that they're not so small that they get wedged around my rather flabby middle.:RpS_blushing:

Yeah I'd heard that this was coming in, but not all over the country at the same time, as is this our usual disjointed way. What worries me is that I'd all so heard that it was the person carrying out the works responsibility to make sure that they were complying with current regs not the property owners.
I don't mind jumping through any hoops needed as long as they're not to high off the ground and that they're not so small that they get wedged around my rather flabby middle.:RpS_blushing:

Its been in for a long time, 5 years atleast off the top off my head but just done a search its part L Building regulations in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.