Flaking paint, crumbling plaster....

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_indio

Amigos,
Just been to price an outside rendering job, but client also asked me about the following problem which they have on a couple of areas in their dining room and I'm not at all sure what the problem could be. Perhaps some of you have come across this?
Powdery paint and some slightly crumbling plaster which is coming off in patches about 2 ft up the wall (see pics below, sorry they need rotating! No.3 is the fireplace)

IMG_2591.JPG IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2595.JPG

The areas are around their patio doorway and also (strangely) around an unused and capped fireplace.
They have had the damp checked out (only 1 of 4 companies consulted said they had damp.....hmmmm) The clients say it doesn't feel damp.
It looks blistered, similar to the outside my house which I always took as being salts leeching out of the old lime mortar (I live in a 1900s mid-terrace which previous owners thought would be a good idea to paint the whole outside of...thanks a lot!:muyenojado:

Plasterwork looks fine throughout the house apart from here and they have tried all kinds of paints, treatments etc and each time it has come back same place.
I'd like to re-skim for them but don't want to do it and have their problem come back.

They have paving outside which could be a little high but that wouldn't explain the fireplace area (and paving is still well below dpc)

Any thoughts??

that looks like it to me... I would look outside as well but definitely damp of some sort :-/

We had condensation problems in this flat when we rented it...

However I will be announcing anew product that will be of interest very soon :)

Condensation and lack of circulation, I'm no expert btw just a logical guess.

Yes That's what I suggested to them at the time, not unlike what goes on at ours in the bay window if the drapes are down all the time. Remove plants etc open a window and it goes.
Not sure why their fireplace though!

that looks like it to me... I would look outside as well but definitely damp of some sort :-/

We had condensation problems in this flat when we rented it...

However I will be announcing anew product that will be of interest very soon :)

Kerching

The fire place if capped off and no vent inside can lead to a build up of moisture.
When the moisture builds up inside it starts to dampen the soot stains from when the fire was used many years ago.
This starts to bleed through and then appears damp on the finished surface but is usually where the salts in wall and soot stain through.
Having it completely capped off with no air flow isn't good. Some level of ventilation is needed.

That looks a bit more serious to me e , id suggest a damp report from a surveyor etc or at least someone willing to sign off on it.
Chip part of it away near the skirting and ask them to check that when it rains heavily, looks like rising damp to me but im no expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.