Fixing boards - drill/driver or screw gun?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Just wondered what most professional plasterers use for fixing plasterboards. Are those Makita collated screwguns a better option than using a cordless drill/driver? Are the cordless Makita guns as good as the corded ones, because someone told me once that the cordless ones were more prone to jamming?

Also, does anyone use an impact driver for fixing boards such as those nifty little 10.8volt Bosch/Hitachi/Makita jobbies?

I use a little makita impact drivers li- lon ,thb i dont do a lot of plaster board work, but most guys i see that do a lot of it use collated screw guns.

I have a collated hilti screw gun and use it all the time.....its fantastic and never jams. buy one on e bay mate

i got the 18v cordless makita gun and a in-pact driver for the odd one but yea sames sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much time just need ta get the hang on um first

Just used my new corded Makita collated gun for the first time today, I didn't have much to do but what a great tool. I bought the corded version on the advice of guys that do a lot of tacking.

I have both 110 and battery collated 110 is superb ive had a senco before but it was stolen out of my van and to be honest they done me a favour coz their shite and keep jamming.

i remember a lad who had a hilti srewgun with all the add ons to turn it into a collated ....you can get battery packs you strap to your belt and a wire to the gun so theres no weight to it ........deffo need both mate the reverses are rubbish on collated and the odd screw goes on the pees

ive been using makita screw on the strip but bloody expensive anyone recomend a cheap collerated screw that done bung em up?

yea £30 a box of 1000! mind you i can get it down to about £19 and get the TP ones for about £12

has anyone ever use the screw driver bits with the little plastic depth stop on them. I got a pack from screwfix
they fit any drill/driver.

Ive only ever used the senco and makita 1s but the senco wins hands down for me as long as you keep it well lubed

Mr Brown are they any good them cheap ones?i fort they would jam more and stuff..? i like to try and use better brands of everything but wow that is a huge price diffrence.. mind you iv been charging £30 a box to the customer!

Every time i have worked behind a tacker thats using collated screw guns there is always a few screws popping out a couple of mm :mad: Personally use a makita 14 v battery drill had it about 6 years now not one prob.

flynnyman said:
pwi said:
6 inch nails ;D ;D

only messing i use a 18v senco best bit of kit around

dont last 2 minutes on 50mm screws
you need new bats then used mine today all day on 50m screws went through 2 bats i would say thats good

We only use Hilti or Makita battery and corded screw guns all the firms we work for supply mats and wont supply collated screws becayse of the expense.
Lucius

lucius said:
We only use Hilti or Makita battery and corded screw guns all the firms we work for supply mats and wont supply collated screws becayse of the expense.
Lucius

Almost worth supplying the screws yourself or asking for a metreage rate including supplying the screws.
I often get tackers to do this as they get the type of screw that suits them and I don't get thousands of screws nicked.

The other good thing with collated is you don't get the wastage you get with loose, how many times have you dropped screws and not picked em up, over the job can be loads per bloke!!

anyone got a board hoist absolutely sheite hot got mine off ebay about 2 yrs ago brilliant if youve got a lot of ceilings to do and one man can do them on his own

murplastering said:
anyone got a board hoist absolutely sheite hot got mine off ebay about 2 yrs ago brilliant if youve got a lot of ceilings to do and one man can do them on his own

I'm glad you've said that as I was thing of getting one as I can get an extension for my Makita screw gun, and then I wouldn't even need to get of the deck most of the time.
What size and make have you got mur?

They just wouldnt go with it Andy, they supply and thats that but to be honest, not me but my boys can fire them in with normal screw guns just as quick as collated if not quicker without the expense, they have tried collated before and didnt reckon them, the job we just finished consisted of 6000 boards so they are a bit quick on the draw.
Lucius.

makita 110v has always worked for me, some tackers i used to use years ago swore by the senco duraspin they reckon it was the dogs nackers, no jamming like some others.

Hilti are just about to launch the SF5000A, a 22V light as f**k cordless drywall gun. Had all the details from Hilti yesterday so will be selling my SF4000A soon. I don't know how anyone can say that it is possible to put single screws in as fast as collated, it's not. A lot of collated guns are temperamental when it comes to screws. I had the Makita 18V Lithium briefly until I demanded my money back. It's a POS.
The Hilti SMD attachment will take any collated screw up to about 58mm. I pay from £4.50 per 1000 for the screws. Oasis, how you can charge £30 a box, beats the s**t out of me.
As for impact guns, a lot of drywall installers tend to use these impact screwdrivers, as one minute they are fixing stud, then boarding, and rather than keep changing tools, the impact driver does it all. If they are just boarding, then the collated gun comes out.

The problem with impact guns, and ime talking about the Makita Lithiuum is that the vents are at the top so when its in your holster and your surfing of a piece of board a lot of of the debris ends up in the gun, not good for the gun.
Lucius.

lucious tony does it every day mate and f**k me you sound desperate to impress ;D ;D........bit of dust lands on my vent ;D ;D ;D ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.