Fixing big cracks

Members online

Xinebessa

Had a 6m x 6m room plastered last week and upon drying it has a crack down the middle (whole room length). Odd as boards were tight, screwed in well and had noggins. Have been told its just "one of those things" maybe due to weather etc... anyway the plaster has offered (at a cost) to pop back, rescrim and feather over it but i worry that the additional thickness of the strip of ceiling will noticed as it runs towards a 4m set of bifolds which let in a lot of light.

Have spent some time trying to fix the crack myself by enlarging it to a small v shape, filling and sanding but am having poor results. Should i be sanding litetally until the only filler is that which is in the crack groove or should i be leaving a thin layer which comes out further and covers a small amount of ceiling either side? (If that makes sense). Also should i use stainblocker or sinilar before painting over it?

Ive tried 3 fillers...

Toupret smooth finish
Polyfiller quick dry
Gyproc easy fill

Each time the fix looks obvious though.

Any suggestions please?

Had a 6m x 6m room plastered last week and upon drying it has a crack down the middle (whole room length). Odd as boards were tight, screwed in well and had noggins. Have been told its just "one of those things" maybe due to weather etc... anyway the plaster has offered (at a cost) to pop back, rescrim and feather over it but i worry that the additional thickness of the strip of ceiling will noticed as it runs towards a 4m set of bifolds which let in a lot of light.

Have spent some time trying to fix the crack myself by enlarging it to a small v shape, filling and sanding but am having poor results. Should i be sanding litetally until the only filler is that which is in the crack groove or should i be leaving a thin layer which comes out further and covers a small amount of ceiling either side? (If that makes sense). Also should i use stainblocker or sinilar before painting over it?

Ive tried 3 fillers...

Toupret smooth finish
Polyfiller quick dry
Gyproc easy fill

Each time the fix looks obvious though.

Any suggestions please?
Don't look up, works every time.

One time devil filler. Should have just used this stuff. Pushed in with a filler knife along about six inches or so then quickly Brushed off the excess with paint brush going across not along the crack. Should not need sanding if it is hairline shrinkage crack. Circular sanding action with fine sandpaper and a sanding block if so. Little dose of 50/50 PVA water rollered over before painting

So actually the bit i filled and painted last night looks good... however a hairline crack has formed again :-( photos below of what im dealing with. Original crack is quite defined vs the more hairline appearance of the reformed crack.

Only thing i can think of is i do have a flue going up through the ceiling, it doesnt touch the plasterboard and is only fixed to one of the trusses about 2 feet above the ceiling. Trusses go at a right angle to the crack..

Attachments

• 20200829_120934.jpg
    20200829_120934.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200829_121005.jpg
    20200829_121005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 195
The boarding?

If so that was me, ive boarded maybe 10 houses with no problems before. That said im far from a professional and if leaving a small gap between boards is a good idea then ive learnt something! Previous houses ive had the odd crack but never anything like this so this is new territory to me. Had a decent plaster in to pre check, scrim and plaster and hes been doing this a long time so i trust his work.

So who did it

So giving this red devil filler a go... went in easy.. trick seems to be quick and then leave it alone. Will paint over it in a bit.

Attachments

• 20200829_142500.jpg
    20200829_142500.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 160
Also wondering if its just due to the fact that the trusses span 6.3m and there is some movement

cover the ceiling first with ply this has great strength then fit plasterboard.
There is a pattern to fitting plasterboard , to often they are just thrown up.

I'm putting my balls on this one that you have done the full job,you've been called back etc etc and pretending its your house maybe? This is why diy section on here should be ignored.maybe its just me being a cynical old c**t but hey ho

I'm putting my balls on this one that you have done the full job,you've been called back etc etc and pretending its your house maybe? This is why diy section on here should be ignored.maybe its just me being a cynical old c**t but hey ho
No UC thus month

probably one coat and dried in two hours.
the more filler you try the worse it’ll look.
the only filler i’ll ever use on a ceiling is car body filler. and that’s grudgingly. isopon p38. sandable in 15 mins and flexible.

Nope my house, i did the boarding and painting but not the plastering.