First quoin stones & reeded columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

goody

Private Member
We're on a job at the mo where the customer wanted big and bold quoin stones running down both front corners of his house together with reeded columns surrounding the front door. So after watching that video on youtube a thousand times and after many many sleepless nights running it over in my head from start to finish, the time had come where we couldn't put it off any longer......but actually although they were just about the fiddliest, most intenseley precision sort of things we've done to date.....once you get the hang of it they're sickly satisfying to do!

http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/goody74/quoin stones/

looks spot on mate. is that the first time you've done them? what did you use to cut them?

Yes fist time.....I could only find a similar sort of ruler to that one in the video which is a yellow metal safety ruler with a 45 degree wedge on it. Have ordered the one's off ebay now as seeing them after we done this can see how they would just save so much time.

thanks man for the columns we pinged the lines with chalk and just cut em out with a carpenters adjustable bevel which acts as a depth gauge with a bevelled edge to it which runs nicely against the square edge of a standard long featherdege.

goody said:
Yes fist time.....I could only find a similar sort of ruler to that one in the video which is a yellow metal safety ruler with a 45 degree wedge on it. Have ordered the one's off ebay now as seeing them after we done this can see how they would just save so much time.

fair play mate. i think its one of those things that looks really difficult but if you know how to do it and take your time its not as hard as first thought. and i bet its really satisfying once they are done. did you do it just by watching the videos?

yeah all I can see now is quoins everywhere I go judging other peoples proportions and everything..........and the misses just came in from work and left the room laughing shaking her head saying 'sad..so sad' at my quoin uploading madness but what the hell I love em now :)

lol a finger mould

thats what there called darren cut out the shape in a piece of zinc and reinforce the back with a bit of wood cut to same shape but 10mm smaller and run it up the column off two rules

cheers man I see. I think with these things less is more as originally he wanted them up above the back extension and actually on both corners of the single extension too. We managed to talk him round into having just the front elevation as it would have been traditionally and they take pride of place instead of being lost in a quoin extravaganza as you often see

grand wizard said:
thats what there called darren cut out the shape in a piece of zinc and reinforce the back with a bit of wood cut to same shape but 10mm smaller and run it up the column off two rules

Just like used when running a cornice in situ, well similar.

This is one of the best if not the best example of work I've ever seen posted on this forum and it now seems so worth while wading through all the daft and weird questions
Big up Goody.

Excellent work mate, as Andy said it is so refreshing to see some skilled work posted, i shall be posting something similar shortly , but a little less formal than your work, well done mate ;)

warriorupnorth said:
Excellent work mate, as Andy said it is so refreshing to see some skilled work posted, i shall be posting something similar shortly , but a little less formal than your work, well done mate ;)

someones getting jealous of all the praise goodys getting... ::)

only joking paul, dont hate me

thats the first time ive cum in my pants without sticking my finger up my ass.......nice job goody

thanks for the positive replies.... they aint perfect to the trained eye but hopefully with more practice and that nifty cutter off ebay that's in the post the next set will be. The material is parex parmurex basecoat render.

goody said:
thanks for the positive replies.... they aint perfect to the trained eye but hopefully with more practice and that nifty cutter off ebay that's in the post the next set will be. The material is parex parmurex basecoat render.

That's just great, we say all those loverly things about you and you just insult us by saying we haven't got trained eyes now, so I'd like to change my original reply and say your works s**t and you're a c**t.

essexandy said:
goody said:

That's just great, we say all those loverly things about you and you just insult us by saying we haven't got trained eyes now, so I'd like to change my original reply and say your works (german word) and you're a (french person).

Lol ;D

very nice work mate... im proud of you... one question though... why did you take the render right down to street level? this could cause rising damp ;)

cheers again guys didn't post it for so much praise really, just to show what you can achieve if you do a bit of research and just go for it......in terms of pushing to the next level. Have been propper touched though from all the positive replies ta very much. The house originally has a projecting plinth which goes down to the floor and there is no dpc apart from slate i think anyway. We mono'd one of the pine ends today and it looks fab up against the stones. Was a bit dubious about the beige colour at first but now the parex J20(cream) is on they look like genuine sandstone

tis nice yes lol...nah mate the only stalkers are randoms wondering round back off the street asking all sorts of daft questions!! Of course am only too glad to give a considered well balanced answer with a pros and cons and general render verbal diarrhoea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.