first day on the Speedskim, warts and all review

Members online

No members online now.
ok got the 600/ 1200 st blue, and pole attachment off ebay,

most of my work is in social housing /kitchens /bathrooms/ full rewires/ full re skims/ today I had a sitting room to re skim, I work alone, first batch i had a 11m st wall, and a window wall @6m, I unibonded the the day before, and had a nice st forward job to try out speedskim 1200,

1.5 bags , and spreading at 8.30, 1st coated then layed st in, started to go over with ss but the walls seemed a little soft give it 5 mins and went over it for first time,the walls went in very good but left 2 heavy marks one at each end of the speedskim, effortless, done within 5 /7 mins, waited another 10 mins, and tried it with a spray of water, this was better, still left marks but not as bad, and again effortless, another 10 mins and went over it with ss and water again, still concerned about the 2 marks so I took them out with my trowel, then give it a once over with a tad of water with my Tyzac 13 incher and 10 mins later give it a dry and job done at 10.15, did the other half of the room next batch similar to the above

verdict
finished job looks really neat, effortless, 15/20 mins quicker per batch, had plenty of time between passes, I like the way the walls take in when using s s
downside concerned about the 2 marks, had to clean ss quite a few times, but apart from that very happy, is it normal for ss when new to need breaking in?

i have done house bashing for 30 odd years most of that was float and skim,only the last few years been on social housing a lot easier work, but my body has had some hammer, tennis elbow, aching shoulders tight hamstrings,pains in legs, but like most plasterers you just get on with it, but today the work seemed effortless compared to a normal day.

Round corners off to the radius of a 5p piece with wer and dry as Danny said and voila

1st time I rounded the corners off I took them a bit too far and when I used the speedskim vertically it didn't quite get up to the ceiling line, bit of trial and error. Round them off, try it, leave alone or take a bit more off till it's right for you.
I'm in the same state as you and I wouldn't be without the speedskim now but I use a super flex so I can get on it a bit earlier off I'm on price work!

ok got the 600/ 1200 st blue, and pole attachment off ebay,

most of my work is in social housing /kitchens /bathrooms/ full rewires/ full re skims/ today I had a sitting room to re skim, I work alone, first batch i had a 11m st wall, and a window wall @6m, I unibonded the the day before, and had a nice st forward job to try out speedskim 1200,

1.5 bags , and spreading at 8.30, 1st coated then layed st in, started to go over with ss but the walls seemed a little soft give it 5 mins and went over it for first time,the walls went in very good but left 2 heavy marks one at each end of the speedskim, effortless, done within 5 /7 mins, waited another 10 mins, and tried it with a spray of water, this was better, still left marks but not as bad, and again effortless, another 10 mins and went over it with ss and water again, still concerned about the 2 marks so I took them out with my trowel, then give it a once over with a tad of water with my Tyzac 13 incher and 10 mins later give it a dry and job done at 10.15, did the other half of the room next batch similar to the above

verdict
finished job looks really neat, effortless, 15/20 mins quicker per batch, had plenty of time between passes, I like the way the walls take in when using s s
downside concerned about the 2 marks, had to clean ss quite a few times, but apart from that very happy, is it normal for ss when new to need breaking in?

i have done house bashing for 30 odd years most of that was float and skim,only the last few years been on social housing a lot easier work, but my body has had some hammer, tennis elbow, aching shoulders tight hamstrings,pains in legs, but like most plasterers you just get on with it, but today the work seemed effortless compared to a normal day.
Sounds likes its done the job I've got the St blue but aint got the ss blade what rating would u give that ?
So the ss has done 90% of the final stages?

The sf is terrible. .. mine is going on ebay over the weekend, just had my first go with my refina spat and it is a lot better.

Thanks for the help lads, got emery paper today, took the corners off nicely, also, ordered a 16" plaziiflex because a couple on here say it helped with tennis elbow, I am pretty much old school and a little frightened to go bigger than 16 inch in case of drag/stress on forearm and bringing back tennis elbow, would you agree? not really up on these new trowels, but reading on here most people say its finishes much better and much easier than Marshall/Tyzac.

Apprentice
you and many others say, you wouldn't be without the speedskim now but you use a super flex so you can get on it a bit earlier off I'm on price work!
so what's different between s*p*r*lex and oldschool trowels?

over the years I have used Marshall trowels but I hated breaking them in, the last Marshall trowel I bought was ready broke in, but at the time I was skimming only, and that still took 2/3 weeks to get somewhere near, I was told 6 months ago about how good the ready broke in Tyzack's are, so i tried it and never looked back, think I paid £18/£ 20 for the 13" after 2/3 days it left a great finish and a really nice feel to it when coating up and laying in, question is does the s*p*r*lex complement speedskim, or is it just preference? and does it break in easy? and is it used from start to finish?

hstoke
you said
Sounds likes its done the job I've got the St blue but aint got the ss blade what rating would u give that ?
So the ss has done 90% of the final stages

I only have the ST blue, when I was talking about ss I meant speedskim, it was my first day on speedskim but I think I could finish a job with it on a big area with a little more practice, leaving only a polish with a trowel, not sure about small awkward area. I will know better after this week as i have a lot of skimming to do,with some big areas to go at, and a few ceilings.

I am very hopeful that speedskim will make life a lot easier from now on, I am to old to go back on pricework now, done it most of my life, I had 10 years of using knauf skimming on new board work, now anyone that has used knauf before will know about how much more area you can get on with this gear if on price work, yet as soon as you mention Knauf you get the shite gear, shite job comments, well thats not true, when used correctly, a good plasterer that is used to knauf,will tell you how much easier it is to work with, how much more area you can get on with it, and how much further a bag will go, it leave's as good a job as multi, yet its no good at all on re-skims, I would have loved to have a go on new work with speedskim and the flexi trowels on that gear, is there anyone that user's knauf and speedskim on here, does it work well with Speedskim and the new type of trowels?

thanks again for the help guys.

Thanks for the help lads, got emery paper today, took the corners off nicely, also, ordered a 16" plaziiflex because a couple on here say it helped with tennis elbow, I am pretty much old school and a little frightened to go bigger than 16 inch in case of drag/stress on forearm and bringing back tennis elbow, would you agree? not really up on these new trowels, but reading on here most people say its finishes much better and much easier than Marshall/Tyzac.

Apprentice
you and many others say, you wouldn't be without the speedskim now but you use a super flex so you can get on it a bit earlier off I'm on price work!

over the years I have used Marshall trowels but I hated breaking them in, the last Marshall trowel I bought was ready broke in, but at the time I was skimming only, and that still took 2/3 weeks to get somewhere near, I was told 6 months ago about how good the ready broke in Tyzack's are, so i tried it and never looked back, think I paid £18/£ 20 for the 13" after 2/3 days it left a great finish and a really nice feel to it when coating up and laying in, question is does the s*p*r*lex complement speedskim, or is it just preference? and does it break in easy? and is it used from start to finish?

hstoke
you said

I only have the ST blue, when I was talking about ss I meant speedskim, it was my first day on speedskim but I think I could finish a job with it on a big area with a little more practice, leaving only a polish with a trowel, not sure about small awkward area. I will know better after this week as i have a lot of skimming to do,with some big areas to go at, and a few ceilings.

I am very hopeful that speedskim will make life a lot easier from now on, I am to old to go back on pricework now, done it most of my life, I had 10 years of using knauf skimming on new board work, now anyone that has used knauf before will know about how much more area you can get on with this gear if on price work, yet as soon as you mention Knauf you get the shite gear, shite job comments, well thats not true, when used correctly, a good plasterer that is used to knauf,will tell you how much easier it is to work with, how much more area you can get on with it, and how much further a bag will go, it leave's as good a job as multi, yet its no good at all on re-skims, I would have loved to have a go on new work with speedskim and the flexi trowels on that gear, is there anyone that user's knauf and speedskim on here, does it work well with Speedskim and the new type of trowels?

Have you been on YouTube? Lots of vids on there of them in use, might give you a better idea of what will work best for you. If you see a vid made by a fat bloke with pink ears.....that's me :(

Apprentice

hstoke
you said

What way do you use kanuf mp finish mate.

When your plazi comes through and you see how much earlier you can trowel up with that, and yes you'll not believe how much easier it is. Then you'll get nicks in it and feel that your forever rubbing it down and try a flexi trowel. Yes they still need to be looked after but much more durable

Well when i bought my speedskim from one stop. Ryan, took it and rounded the ends for me :bailando: then i used it on weber OCR it was great for ruling off so next i will buy the longer one and use for ruling ocr :asadito:

I have heard from @cassie that the plazzi doesn't get nick's anymore.. or get scuffed on beads... but I have never seen one that doesn't. ..

s*p*r*lex trowels supersede plazzi trowels but I used one the other month on a stair winder

lol.. doesnt if you know what your doing..ie.. dont run down beads where they join.... running down a bead. never had major problems myself.. suppose its down to experience mate... yes, you will get nicks if you run down them like a madman..lmao.. quick rub with the paper and its sorted...

For balance, i'd agree with @cassie to be fair danny, had mine 3-4 months and never had an actual nick in it. I find u sometimes get a bit of very light scuffing but i reckon its down to residue on the plastic.

The last week or two i've been rubbing my plazi across boards or a set wall before i use it and it's been brilliant not a mark at all.

As i've also said i'm not in any particular camp because despite 10-20 hints i've never got a free product of anyone so its a genuine opinion.

WHEN the samples start coming in though i'm open to being firmly in 1 team.

[emoji39]

For balance, i'd agree with @cassie to be fair danny, had mine 3-4 months and never had an actual nick in it. I find u sometimes get a bit of very light scuffing but i reckon its down to residue on the plastic.

The last week or two i've been rubbing my plazi across boards or a set wall before i use it and it's been brilliant not a mark at all.

As i've also said i'm not in any particular camp because despite 10-20 hints i've never got a free product of anyone so its a genuine opinion.

[emoji39]
Cant see how u havnt had a nick in it in 4 months, it still in the box?? Lol!! Iv had mine about a year, im careful with it dont go up + down beads etc but still get the odd nick in it, but takes a minute just rub it out again, wudnt b without mine or me speedskim!!

lol.. doesnt if you know what your doing..ie.. dont run down beads where they join.... running down a bead. never had major problems myself.. suppose its down to experience mate... yes, you will get nicks if you run down them like a madman..lmao.. quick rub with the paper and its sorted...

Even using it down the bead that is not got a join it it scuffs it.... as anything would metal is harder than plastic :)

Read back through my posts in the past and you will see the only reason why these trowels are popular Is because of the discussions on TPF :)

Doesn't matter who makes them I liked them... In fact @Plasterers1StopShop had a plastic trowel and I did not like it... so there goes your theory...

[emoji39]

I use to carry 1200 wet and dry to keep it in shape.... :)

Maybe they changed the quality of the plastic since mine as it is one if the first ones :)

by the time the plazi comes out the vast majority of the bead is coated in pretty stiff finish.. like i said, I dont get too many scuffs. its only a light pass anyway..