fireplace

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwi

i have a job where the fireplace wall always has a small hair line crack down the brest which most fires will have ? the client wants us to make sure it never comes back i hacked it off fire cemented the crack steel meshed rendered up and skimmed still came back , the brick work wasnt the best so i think this is where the problem lies .im thinking along the lines of strapping it out and boarding but dont really want to use timber because of the heat what other options do i have . the fire is recessed in to the wall and has a glass /steel front

hmmm well the mesh could be why it cracked again it tends to expand and contract under heat, have you thought bout takeing off the bottom half and re rendering with sand cement and lime then useing victas plaster over the top, i wouldnt bother with board the gypsum core will not withstand more than 49 degrees and after a few time with the fire on youll have to replace it again.
i always sand cement lime for the backing coat then victas the top,but i also tend to do free hand corners for these around the recess as the beads can expand and contract under heat exposure aswell.

others might have some different ideas for ya

shouldnt really use boards either gases can escape up the back of em if not done properly i always float chimneys could you not stitch the bad brickwork with heli bars an resin first if its that bad to stop any movement

Status
Not open for further replies.