Fireplace + metal angle = cracked plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

manuguerra

Hello,

more than a year ago I purchased and got installed a Stovax wood fireplace in Sydney.
It has been installed "frameless", as advertised, with the plasterboard touching the internal frame of the fireplace.
Bacause of this, every kind of metal angle used by the plasterer bends and cracks the plaster (see attached photo).
The board used is completely fire resistant, and is cold to the touch even if the fireplace produces a huge amount of heat. The same doesn't apply to the metal angle and the plaster around it.

Is it possible to install the boards without angles? Or does anyone see a different solution, without changing the type of installation?

The job has now been done and redone several times, and it is clear at this stage that they don't know what to do next.

Thanks
Maurizio

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 343
Hi mate

I would take out existing plasterboard and fit a new piece which is cut perfectly to fit around around fire so you shouldn't need a metal bead. You could ames tape this board either side of the fire keeping the joint away from the heat. You may still have problems with the paint cracking as i would imagine this fire would give out a lot of heat so i would try and source a paint that would stand up to high temps.. There is a plaster called victas which is designed for around areas of high temperatures but i dont know if you could get it in sydney. Metal beads will never work with the temps involved.

Stuart

Last edited:
Thanks mate. I tried asking the seller/installers to have it installed without beads but everyone here tells me this is impossible. Now you confirm this is really the way to go. They are driving me crazy.

Cheers
Maurizio

I might start msg him when I get lonely in the wee small hours. All joking aside if I can't sleep tonight I'm off to the doctors. Four hours sleep I got last night, I'm fecked at work today.

Status
Not open for further replies.