Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Tried today

couldnt do it

was fine for flattening but ended up using trowel to finish

For those of you that can do it

so hows it done then?

like the speedskim and the eze spat but never finished with anything but a trowel.

use the plastic blade on the eze spat now. leaves it nice and greasy and you can get loads on. speedskim if you want to get onto second coat.

I have to agree @windy....

I didn't like the blue blade for ages... but changed my times and its way better than grey blade.... but cant finish with it yet... not really tried to be fair :-\

Last edited:
You been working with spanky ryan?....nice one,, hes taken you under his wing, so to speak:RpS_thumbup:

I found that if I use a small pole, only about 450mm long I can get a good finish with my speedskim. I can get more pressure on it by using the pole but I only use the 600 for finishing if that's any help

I can't get a finish wi blue blade still give it last trowel with s*p*r*lex just use it for flattening and instead of first two passes after laying on.

I can't get a finish wi blue blade still give it last trowel with s*p*r*lex just use it for flattening and instead of first two passes after laying on.

I can get a sort of finish after two passes with blue blade, its flat but still like to go over it with s*p*r*lex to finish it off! Havnt tried going over it 3rd time with speedskim so fair play to those who finish it completely with speedskim.

Im the same, I flatten off, then trowel finish, my mate says he can , and he knows his ****, so yes it can be done, I just havent tried..

With ceilings I'll flatten both coats with the 1200mm Speedskim then use our 600mm Speedskim on a pole and go over it a few times till it's about as good as I can get then trowel it (one dry, then one with very little water). Certainly takes the effort out of it.

Why do we need all these new gadgets? Been plastering over 30 yrs without, if bg produced better plaster instead of the play dough they are making now the trusty stainless trowel would be fine!

Rhys

Do you keep cleaning the blade as you go or do you let a bit of gear bit up on it to fill in any hollows ??

Was looking at those speedskims I reckon it would be worth having a go. I'm all for making life easy lol.Was gonna try the 600/1200 blue blade for closing in and 600 sf for finishing. I usually just stick to stainless steel from start to finish That's all I know tbh.Think I'll order up an give it a try. I'm sure I could flog them if it doesn't impress me.

Im the same. Cant finish with them. I just use them for big areas, flattening and 1st trowel. Have tried to finish but cant quite get the grind if that makes sense

If you use a shorter pole it'll need to be a low ceiling, makes no sense at all, just hold the big pole higher up. lol

Rhys

Do you keep cleaning the blade as you go or do you let a bit of gear bit up on it to fill in any hollows ??

I'll just clean it when I'm done. I'll flatten it one way then cross the other way. If I get a hollow I'll just wipe a bit off onto my trowel then fill before going over it again with the Speedskim. I don't want to go over it too much as I like to give the first trowel with out water.

Tbh, it doesn't build up that much when I use the 600 on a ceiling, I've already gone over it with a 1200 and left it a few minutes to take in a little bit.

I can't finish with one though (still use grey blades), prefer to use the s*p*r*lex.

Last edited:
I'll just clean it when I'm done. I'll flatten it one way then cross the other way. If I get a hollow I'll just wipe a bit off onto my trowel then fill before going over it again with the Speedskim. I don't want to go over it too much as I like to give the first trowel with out water.

Tbh, it doesn't build up that much when I use the 600 on a ceiling, I've already gone over it with a 1200 and left it a few minutes to take in a little bit.

I can't finish with one though (still use grey blades), prefer to use the s*p*r*lex.

Same way i use mine, jus clean it after each flatten. Does it flatten off well with your grey speedskim? I had that one but it the blade went a bit wavey so got the blue blade + theyre ace, ud b impressed if u like the grey one!

Thanks Stuart

Who was it suggested using a shorter pole to get more pressure?

It was me, I can't get a finish without using the short pole even on walls TBH, using a short pole really makes it easier for getting some pressure on as the plaster starts to pull in

so you reckon you can get more pressure using a small pole on the walls ? can you not hold it with two hands ?

Status
Not open for further replies.