Finishing hydraulic lime finish coat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzplasterer

Laid on hydraulic lime finish coat today waited for it to pick up a bit and then used trowel to flatten off.

I was told to finish the lime using my trowel by the guy in the builders merchant, I found that the trowel pulled to much on the lime and was tearing in places.

I've been reading up on line and some data sheets recommended finishing the top coat with wood or sponge float...

Anyone got any advice?

Laid on hydraulic lime finish coat today waited for it to pick up a bit and then used trowel to flatten off.

I was told to finish the lime using my trowel by the guy in the builders merchant, I found that the trowel pulled to much on the lime and was tearing in places.

I've been reading up on line and some data sheets recommended finishing the top coat with wood or sponge float...

Anyone got any advice?

You could have read that on here in the lime section!

What's the difference between using one of those and a normal float? I looking to get a smooth finish but not closed. Is it ok to bring it back tmw with a fine spray and sponge float?

with a cross grain float you wont or should not get drag this is why your modern trowels are cross ground, if the property is not heated and it's been as cold and damp where you are as it has here you should be ok.

Interesting thanks...so standard wood floats arn't cross grain?

also...

Is it ok to use sponge float or will it bring too much lime to surface?

Interesting thanks...so standard wood floats arn't cross grain?

also...

Is it ok to use sponge float or will it bring too much lime to surface?

No ordinary wood float is not cross grained

and tbh not sure about sponge float as i have never used one on lime so would be inclined not to.

I did ok with a sponge float then trowel. Thought a cross grained wooden float was for keenes cement? I have had one since 72 and used it in once in 76 in the local nick. My claim to fame that the Yorkshire Ripper was locked up in a cell that I had plastered in Keenes Cement.

I did ok with a sponge float then trowel. Thought a cross grained wooden float was for keenes cement? I have had one since 72 and used it in once in 76 in the local nick. My claim to fame that the Yorkshire Ripper was locked up in a cell that I had plastered in Keenes Cement.

I worked with a few old spreads back in the 80's who used to swear by a cross grain float for laying on and in and i still use one sometimes for internal angles when skimming

using sirapite on a high class work we would lay the first coat on with a straight grain float, second coat lay on with a trowel, then cross grain over the whole wall then trowel up.
on other work, lay two coats on with a trowel, cross grain the internals, skirting line and ceiling line.
on lime top coat the mix had a little sirapite added to speed things up.

Anyone got any advice?

I've found a sponge float is good for working lime finish - use minimal water and rub with the sponge. Think 'pushing it back into the wall' rather than 'troweling in'. Be patient with it and finish it with one of these plastic finishing trowels. Really good on lime :RpS_thumbup:

http://www.plasterers1stopshop.co.uk/product.php?id=490

The idea of a cross grain on lime finish is it acts as a plane shaving off any little high spots and compacting the material

Last edited:
sponge floats are ok , but use water sparingly , cross grain floats are also very good but need more work to consolidate , but do get a better flatter and more compact finish . i use the cross grain on better class work as malc said good for ceiling lines , internals etc..

What about timing? I laid on first thing by 4 areas were still too wet to float, came back next day and it was quite hard to float, a bit grainy.

Guy in builders merchant told me 2 days before floating...I was floating same day! By the evening the follow day it was fairly hard and very difficult to float. ??

Obviously I need more practice...just want a uniform finish (like a nicely floated sand cement render) ready for lime wash.

timing at this time of year can be an issue,as with all renders and plasters!! you just have to try different laying on times mate to be honest try last thing in the day, and work from that, thats just the nature of the beast at this time of year regardss stuy

Status
Not open for further replies.