febond blue grit

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyp

Hi guys ive got an artex ceiling that needs skimming.
Ive scraped the artex and given coat of pva
Ive applied febond blue grit aswell to give a key.
Its says to wait minium of 24hr before skimming ontop of the blue grit.
Do I need to pva the blue grit before I skim?

Ignore fibrehand7, he hasn't a clue what he's talking about once again. Plus you shouldn't have put Pva on before blue grit

oh really? whys is that irish_spread?
I thought the pva would control suction?
will it matter that I pva the ceiling first before I put blue grit on?

it seems pointless putting pva on if y putting grit on leave blue grit till it dries then crack on

thanks for your advice Gareth. If I applied blue grit on an artex ceiling could I get away with skimming before the grit dries?

thanks for your advice Gareth. If I applied blue grit on an artex ceiling could I get away with skimming before the grit dries?

The reason you use blue grit is because PVA sometimes delaminates from Artex where blue grit doesn't . So while the blue grit sticks to the Pva, if the Pva doesn't stick to the artex.....kerplunk

Iv never skimmed on it before its completely dry mate so i wudnt meself, iv gritted in mornin + skimmed in afternoon once its touch dry but that was over walls not artex + had other stuff to do, wouldnt fancy waitin around for it to dry.

ok Gareth will wait for it too dry first then.
So painted artex ceilings or walls just apply blue grit and skim when dry?
no need for pva ?

blue grit is a bit of work spreading it over large area do any of you give it a whirl with an old whisk first to make it spread on easier ?

blue grit is a bit of work spreading it over large area do any of you give it a whirl with an old whisk first to make it spread on easier ?

Yes giving it a stir with a small mixer paddle in a cordless drill is what I usually do. When spreading over a large area I use a short pile roller sleeve.

I just use a brush I find roller doesn't spread it well enough

You need to move over to the pink side!

Betokontakt rollers on fast, goes much further and takes half the skim to cover.

It's the thinking man's pre-grit. :RpS_thumbsup:

You need to move over to the pink side!

Betokontakt rollers on fast, goes much further and takes half the skim to cover.

It's the thinking man's pre-grit. :RpS_thumbsup:

Iv been using micro a fair bit as the grit is small in that too beto is hard to get hold of for me.

i think betokontakt is the best b/a ,ive use so far , but not used micro , are the bits smaller in micro than betokontakt ? and can you skim micro the same day ?

Ok, churchy - agree that beto lovely b/a to work with - blue grit kill suction more than beto ?

never used blue grit mate , i think they all kill suction but beto has smaller bits and spreads better than say the bg bond it stuff .

Blue grit is terrible, it give a surface that is harder to cover than artex.... trying to put it on even is a right choir. .. I find soverigns past prime a lot better. I have used beto before and have to keep mixing it as it's like piss water...

Micro is nice stuff. Id say wba is probably slightly better since they changed the micro. but micro is more cost effective imo and in most cases can be skimmed an hour later.

Status
Not open for further replies.