Feb Rendamix. Never again.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

spredz

/unlurk

I'm not one to grumble. Much.

Feb Rendamix by Evabuild - waterproofer and retarder allegedly. My local builders merchants that most all my local builders supply from, swapped from Cementone products to Feb. It's my 4th or 5th rendering job with Feb I ain't using that mush again.

Final staw was a job over a perfectly applied stainless rib-lath type EML sheeting over kingspan type board. No movement and no suction from the background 'substrate'. Scratched and left for over a week.

The Feb (spits in disgust) added to guaging water exctly as-per manuf. instructions.

The scratchcoat was watered by the client for me most days during the 8 day gap between scratch and top coat.

I was a cool, unbroken cloud, day. All day. Not even very windy and no rain. You coudn't get a better day for rendering.

The section I did was on in 4 gauges which took about an hour.

By the time i was at the end the the start point was way-too dry and ruling it was a pain.

Every other time this has happened I've put it down to there having been a BIT of sunshine on the day I rendered. This time on a cool cloudy day and onto an EML substrate I have come to the conclusion that Feb rendamix is not fit for purpose and I will never be buying it or using it again.

I've just read the technical datasheet for it and it says it's 'air entraining'. I don't understand that I thought waterproofers did the opposite to entraining air. Whatever. Its sh1te either way.

I've used this product a lot and thought it sh1te every time. Does anyone disagree?

Best,

spredz

/lurk

This waterproofer plastiser s are always going to be problematic, a product cannot do both, buy waterproofer that is just that, if it creates bubbles then it is not waterproof,

I have used feb Rendamix for years and Feb Febtite which was it predessor. Never gave me a failure so have kept using it for peace of mind. I have used Cementone on labour only jobs and find it creamier but I have also known failures where it has been used so keep away from it.

I know what your problem is and I would expect it under the same circumstances. You have applied a waterproofed render to a no-suction background. I don't why it does it but apply waterproofed render to a no suction background and you get suction, apply a waterproof render to a suction background and it works fine?

Anyone know of a waterproofer that works on a no suction background?

Used Freeflo in 1988 and it is still there today. Had to do a repair in the 90,s on it and the scratch was well hard and stuck.

....in response to responses.....

I knocked up the first gauge of Donald myself to demonstrate to the reasonably intelligent labrador....

.....regardless of the suction of the original background I thought a scratchcoat regulates i.e. minimises suction once on and set. I can't understand how it has created suction although it certainly seems to have. This product has failed on brick and block as well though (for me) I've gone right off it!!

I have not encountered FreeFlo on sale here in West london and anyway, most builders I sub to provide, and they provide Feb. (and Leighton Buzzard sand which is creme de la creme)

Unless there's a large dodgy batch of Feb around it's a 'kin mystery.....

....in response to responses.....

I knocked up the first gauge of Donald myself to demonstrate to the reasonably intelligent labrador....

.....regardless of the suction of the original background I thought a scratchcoat regulates i.e. minimises suction once on and set. I can't understand how it has created suction although it certainly seems to have. This product has failed on brick and block as well though (for me) I've gone right off it!!

I have not encountered FreeFlo on sale here in West london and anyway, most builders I sub to provide, and they provide Feb. (and Leighton Buzzard sand which is creme de la creme)

Unless there's a large dodgy batch of Feb around it's a 'kin mystery.....
Leighton is not as good as it was, even in south london

I have used feb Rendamix for years and Feb Febtite which was it predessor. Never gave me a failure so have kept using it for peace of mind. I have used Cementone on labour only jobs and find it creamier but I have also known failures where it has been used so keep away from it.

I know what your problem is and I would expect it under the same circumstances. You have applied a waterproofed render to a no-suction background. I don't why it does it but apply waterproofed render to a no suction background and you get suction, apply a waterproof render to a suction background and it works fine?

Anyone know of a waterproofer that works on a no suction background?

Back in the days of Febtite they also made a shitty looking brown waterproofer called Febproof I think, this worked better on backgrounds with little or no suction. Not sure if they still do it under a different guise.

Last edited:
we mix the waterproofer into the bucket with the water, stirring it with a piece of angle bead. it is no good just throwing it into the mixer as it does not go through the full mix. lots of waterproofe liquids are usless, we use soverign which we know works.
they also weaken the mix and need extra cement added.

/unlurk

I'm not one to grumble. Much.

Feb Rendamix by Evabuild - waterproofer and retarder allegedly. My local builders merchants that most all my local builders supply from, swapped from Cementone products to Feb. It's my 4th or 5th rendering job with Feb I ain't using that mush again.

Final staw was a job over a perfectly applied stainless rib-lath type EML sheeting over kingspan type board. No movement and no suction from the background 'substrate'. Scratched and left for over a week.

The Feb (spits in disgust) added to guaging water exctly as-per manuf. instructions.

The scratchcoat was watered by the client for me most days during the 8 day gap between scratch and top coat.

I was a cool, unbroken cloud, day. All day. Not even very windy and no rain. You coudn't get a better day for rendering.

The section I did was on in 4 gauges which took about an hour.

By the time i was at the end the the start point was way-too dry and ruling it was a pain.

Every other time this has happened I've put it down to there having been a BIT of sunshine on the day I rendered. This time on a cool cloudy day and onto an EML substrate I have come to the conclusion that Feb rendamix is not fit for purpose and I will never be buying it or using it again.

I've just read the technical datasheet for it and it says it's 'air entraining'. I don't understand that I thought waterproofers did the opposite to entraining air. Whatever. Its sh1te either way.

I've used this product a lot and thought it sh1te every time. Does anyone disagree?

Best,

spredz

/lurk[/QUOTE

hi all, this is what I call reverse suction! No suction for scratch coat = lots of suction for top coat.
whenever I encounter these sort of substrates the best method I find is to 3 coat!!!
1st scratch plasticiser 2nd scratch waterproofer = top coat hangs around.
thats how I do it anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.