Feather edge and/or darby

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rijndael

Hi Guys

So Ive been plastering for a few weeks now. I decided to plaster my own room. The job was mediocre. When running my hand down the wall I could feel large bumps in the plaster. Are there any tools I can use to even out a wall when skimming it ? I was thinking of using a darby or feather edge but I want to be sure before I make the investment.

Featheredges and darby are for backing coats & renders not skimming.Depends how true you want the wall to be and how much effort your willing to put in the job. If the hollows are quite bad then you need to straighten up the wall with a backing plaster or even board it if its that bad.welcome to the forum by the way

Thanks guys, okay, so troweling it is. I think I was a little too lavish on some areas and didnt get the time to straighten it out because the plaster was too hard to manipulate.

I have some artex on my bathroom ceiling, it pre-80s so highly likely it has asbestos. I am planning on using a bonding coat followed by a multi. Correct me if Im wrong but a feather edge would be the most apt choice out of the two (to straighten it out), right ?
Also, should I PVA for a bonding coat ? I noticed when bonding my other ceiling that it took ALOT longer for the bonding to harden (like 1.5 days) and I did PVA it.

Thanks for the warm welcome btw.

1 and a half days for the bonding to set? :huh:

Have you not heard............its not just the muliti thats shite...........the setting times on bonding has gone ridiculous...................:RpS_laugh:

I've got a job on Thursday bonding and skimming so chases, only thought I'd be there 4 hours, looks like I'll have to take a sleeping bag

Thanks for the replies.

Well that was artex too although much larger so I had to really layer it on, about 15mm and I PVA-ed it. I would box off but Im not good with wood so I dont want to end up making a linear ceiling or something (hehe).

I've got a job on Thursday bonding and skimming so chases, only thought I'd be there 4 hours, looks like I'll have to take a sleeping bag
i use wickes universal 1 coat plaster when i chasing find it lot easier goes in like bonding have a cuppa read of paper etc then bit of water smooth out job and knock

i use wickes universal 1 coat plaster when i chasing find it lot easier goes in like bonding have a cuppa read of paper etc then bit of water smooth out job and knock
Do you not find that one coat always blisters??. Its why I try to avoid using it unless its,already on the job cos the finish sometimes looks shite.

Thanks for the replies.

Well that was artex too although much larger so I had to really layer it on, about 15mm and I PVA-ed it. I would box off but Im not good with wood so I dont want to end up making a linear ceiling or something (hehe).
:RpS_confused: its mad in here sometimes
is it that easy? mix, fil, coffee then finnish??? no messing?

Do you not find that one coat always blisters??. Its why I try to avoid using it unless its,already on the job cos the finish sometimes looks shite.
cant say i have noticed it blistering on me mate i tend to leave it till it nearly dry though then bit of a spray , trowel smooth , pack up and go home lol

so it doesnt shrink or anything? how long from slapping it on till the last trowel does it take and after the coffee and trowel is it good enough to paint or does it still need skimming over

about 45 min and i drink tea not coffee dont like the stuff makes me ill lol lomg as it smooth it can be painted over done it at my dads after he had it rewired and he be first to say something was wrong and he painted the walls etc

Dont slam the door too hard.
Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.