External Wall Insulation work related questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

(EWI)

Hey people, so works going steady, not chocker but not short. I do however have an interest in this external wall insulation and the applications/finishes and amount of work I've seen kicking about.

Seen a few steady sites with it and was wondering how to go about getting involved in it, I've only ever used and familiar with sand and cement, do i need to do a course and get a cert to work with mono or k-rend or knauf products, or is it the case of getting on site and applying it, learn the ropes, and try not to **** up, and grind it out haha?

Bit i know sorry, cheers for answers.

Search the forum - there are lots of posts about EWI training. I am sure that someone will be along to pass comment or sell what they can offer soon!

Most of the EWI system suppliers want to train or approve their own contractors before letting them loose on work, so it is best to contact several to get to know some of them and see what they can offer to help training you and then find work......

It may also pay for you to find a local EWI installer to you and see if you can have a few FOC days with them to see what you thing about the work before you commit time and money on a course..... Where are you based?

Yes there is a fair amount of work about (or seems to be..... lots of talk anyway!) and everyone is talking about Greendeal and Refurb work.... but there is also a lot of work and effort involved to get approved for those schemes, before you are suppost to start on them - search the forum for these things as well!

Good Luck - research before you commit and know what you want at the end of it!

Last edited:
(EWI)

Hey people, so works going steady, not chocker but not short. I do however have an interest in this external wall insulation and the applications/finishes and amount of work I've seen kicking about.

Seen a few steady sites with it and was wondering how to go about getting involved in it, I've only ever used and familiar with sand and cement, do i need to do a course and get a cert to work with mono or k-rend or knauf products, or is it the case of getting on site and applying it, learn the ropes, and try not to **** up, and grind it out haha?

Bit i know sorry, cheers for answers.

go and work with a team for experience, this is what I did many moons ago. a course can be good from the theory point of view, but practical you want to be with a gang for hands on.
theres plenty of work out there for clued up and lads that are familiar with the systems, just none for chancers.
sand and cement is possibly harder than mono, if you can float and rule sand cement, you should tackle mono with reasonable confidence over time once you are familiar with the application, setting times etc. ewi and acrylics are different but i could be here all day explaining about different renders etc i guess.

Yea i've done quite a bit sand and cement mate. Thats just it though owls, i thought you need to be certed with the product you're using to even have a chance of working with the teams? I don't want to chance it, i actually want to learn a bit about it and get involved with a team as theres tonnes of price work around here atm mate, but most sites and companys i've rang have none of it.

Got any ideas? or just keep nit picking at contractors?

Ye I'm the same mate been rendering for years but can't get a start doing ewi and I've been on a course keep on trying a recon

Been doin ewi for the last 3 months and jacked 2 weeks ago. Prices for sub-contract are;
Board, mesh and dash £16 per metre.
Board, mesh, sponge and acrylic £13 a metre

Reason for jacking= the great british weather!!!!

Yea i've done quite a bit sand and cement mate. Thats just it though owls, i thought you need to be certed with the product you're using to even have a chance of working with the teams? I don't want to chance it, i actually want to learn a bit about it and get involved with a team as theres tonnes of price work around here atm mate, but most sites and companys i've rang have none of it.

Got any ideas? or just keep nit picking at contractors?

unfortunatley it tends to be a case of who you know in this game.
you do need to be certified to a certain extent, have a look through previous posts on here. the subjects been covered many times before.

Been doin ewi for the last 3 months and jacked 2 weeks ago. Prices for sub-contract are;
Board, mesh and dash £16 per metre.
Board, mesh, sponge and acrylic £13 a metre

Reason for jacking= the great british weather!!!!

them figures are piss poor, the contractor will be creaming a ton of money off them.

Ye I'm the same mate been rendering for years but can't get a start doing ewi and I've been on a course keep on trying a recon

i have found that ewi work is seasonal starting about october ending april. as all of the ewi work that we have been on are council tower blocks and council housing. and that the time of the year that councils spend there money.
you will be in competition with a load of eastern europeans living in doss houses at low rents. so expect to have to jump about abit.

Status
Not open for further replies.