External wall HELP!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonya

I am self renovating a n Edwardian House. It has an annex facing north with single pane glass windows all along. This leads to massive heat loss for the whole house.
I have decided to reduce the glass content of the external wall rather than replace with double glazed units.
Question is what should I replace the glass units with?
There is a timber frame, which the glass panes fit into so should i install WBPF board and render it? Is this possible?!
Or is there some kind of external plasterboard can render onto?
I have no experience with external issues like this. Any advice appreciated greatly. I can supply photos if it helps to give a better idea.
Tony

Are you asking this because the house is rendered already! your existing window frames are not designed to take the weight of render, so they need to be removed a new frame of something like 3x2 timber, WPB ply, building paper then expanded metal lath to render onto. Insulate the cavity block up the inner brickwork, plaster and Bob your aunt Fanny's live in lover, why not use secondary double glazing an some proper thick Richard Burtons.

You can use cement board instead of ply, Edwardian house, hope its not listed post some pics please.

probably cheaper to get ssecondary glazing than feck about rendering! just like Diamond says....

Here are some photos

You can use cement board instead of ply, Edwardian house, hope its not listed post some pics please.

Forgot i took some months back.
You can see that is has been 'slapped' onto side of the house.
However it is built better than it looks. has foundations and double block walls. Roof is pretty bad but can fix.
Windows overlook neighbours only. Bottom of wall needs to be rendered so side could be also(no photo of side shown).
So alternatives are:
1.replace glass single panels along most of side with sealed units.
2.Could also possibly brick up sides(?) using present block wall as base
3. Add to timber frame of windows and render externally and use cement board as you suggest-use cellutex within timber frame

problem at present is room is like an ice box attached to the house. I have insulated underneath and will do so with roof also. Faces north so needs to be insulated against the elements.
Any ideas welcomed! annex1.jpg annex2.jpg

To be honest, what ever your going to do will be expensive.If the currnt lower wall is cavity id take it all off above, buy some new sealed pvs units, fit brickwork to suit and build a new roof to current regs with appropiate insulation.

Where is it you live, if its local to me i could give you a qute for the work.

New ceiling level with the tops of your windows etc, downlights, insulation above, 250- 300mm deep, and radiators all along the outer wall below the frames, cheap compromise and make a nice room with plenty of light :RpS_wink:.

I will do the work myself so the only expense will be in materials. That will pale into insignificance compared to labour costs!

secondary glazing is UGLY and will impact on any future sales price. Effective but ugly i'm afraid.

Yes, that is pretty well what i have in mind having thought about it for the last 6 months, while i work away on the rest of the place.
I have already insulated below the floor. I want to avoid heating rads all along the walls as this means I haven't made a good job of the insulation. i basically need to decide whether or not to add selaed units to existing window frames-removing single glass OR rebuild side section with brick/blockwork, tied to existing wall and then insualte this well. this is the question......oh yes, roof light to compensate for loss of light.
This room has been opened up into the kitchen by the way

Not bad....

are you a compitant renderer?
I have rendered old flint and brick walls in an old cottage annex that we own. It worked fine so I guess if i get the mix right and do a base/scratch coat and then further coat at lower ratio mix.
I have learnt skills as an when I need to. I don't believe that you have to stick to one. We are all quite capable of being multi skilled! Its only fear that holds us back. We learn from our mistakes.....and hopefully improve. Current house project i am plastering/plumbing and electrics where notification isn't required.
The cottage annex i renovated is here: our self catering cottage in dorset
So to answer your question, I am able enough to make a competent job of it.

Yes, that is pretty well what i have in mind having thought about it for the last 6 months, while i work away on the rest of the place.
I have already insulated below the floor. I want to avoid heating rads all along the walls as this means I haven't made a good job of the insulation. i basically need to decide whether or not to add selaed units to existing window frames-removing single glass OR rebuild side section with brick/blockwork, tied to existing wall and then insualte this well. this is the question......oh yes, roof light to compensate for loss of light.
This room has been opened up into the kitchen by the way[/QUOT

I don't see how installing radiators means you have not made a good job of the insulation, if the heat source is not up to the requirements you can insulate as much as you like, it will make cock all difference,:RpS_confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.