External rendering on cement board

oss6

Hi All,

I have a small area round a doorway which is timber framed onto which I plan to screw cement board and render. My plasterer seemed a little unsure about what render to use or whether they needed pre-treatment with something .

The cement board which I was advised is for external use is marked Mobbta MultiRend

Any advice welcome

Many thanks

Stuart

Thanks for the response.

I'll put the question another way - there is a very small area around the front door Either side about 20cm and above about 30cm which is new timber frame. The rest of the house is rendered - old cottage style(ie not smooth). I'd like to finish around the doorway to match ie putting normal sand and cement render. I have some external renderboard which i was going to fix to timber frame. I assumed I could just render on that but it seems that may not be the case.

I'm trying to avoid a k-rend type modern finish.

Many thanks for any advice you can give me

Cheers Stuart

You cannot use sand and cement on a carrier board..nor ocr as they are designed for masonry only .. so you’d have to use an adhesive type render I.e hp12 or alike which could be manipulated to your desired texture

You cannot use sand and cement on a carrier board..nor ocr as they are designed for masonry only .. so you’d have to use an adhesive type render I.e hp12 or alike which could be manipulated to your desired texture
HP12 isn’t specced for render board. I can guarantee It cannot be manipulated or massaged to do the job.

Such narrow widths, it it were an old cottage they would either;

Nail boards over the gap and paint it black

Lath and render

Wattle (woven reed style) and daub/render

I'd go with the first- easy, cheap, lasts, authentic period "fix"

HP12 isn’t specced for render board. I can guarantee It cannot be manipulated or massaged to do the job.
I’ve had
never had an issue with it .. no cracks or failures maybe you might have had bad luck put on the wrong side of the board .. I’ve asked a rep before who said to do it .. plenty of jobs still fine talks for itself … I don’t no we’re that massaging bit come in spell check

I’ve had

never had an issue with it .. no cracks or failures maybe you might have had bad luck put on the wrong side of the board .. I’ve asked a rep before who said to do it .. plenty of jobs still fine talks for itself … I don’t no we’re that massaging bit come in spell check
Bad luck or wrong side :risas:
You keep slapping it on. Don’t let me stop you. I’d be using HPX though.

No, old world old school - thin bits of wood like 3/4 x 1/8, nailed to the structural timbers then lime render trowelled over, 2nd coat thinner, then finish coat of a fine plaster.

You could replace the board totally with the metal lath, nailed on and rendered.