External render

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee5000

Ok so my plastering is getting much better now and I've decided to try and render an external wall at home... I'm planning on using a 4 parts sand 1 part water and 1 part cement mix, and using a 3in1 additive that is a plasticiser waterproofer and frost retardant.

I was planning on power hosing the wall prior to the first scratch coat. Does the external surface need pva'ing...?

Thanks for any advice on my mix and also preparation of the external wall

lee

Hi church. Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on using sharp grit sand. The surface is old and it's had external block effect slabs, similar to paving slabs, cemented to the wall. I'm pulling these off and the surface underneath is old render. I will also be going over some areas of old red building brick.
thanks in advance for any advice
lee

I a wondering if this is a wind up, lee,go back inside and make tea,look up local plasterers get some around and see what they propose, you seem far too out of your depth here ,not been rude its just how I read it..

Hi jhohniosaif. It's no wind up, I'm genuinely looking for advice on what is a good mix to use for external render and how best to prep the wall. It's only a home project so I really would like some genuine advice. I've never done external render before so don't know a great deal about mixes and additives etc. I'm going to have a go for sure so any advice is great. Thanks

I a wondering if this is a wind up, lee,go back inside and make tea,look up local plasterers get some around and see what they propose, you seem far too out of your depth here ,not been rude its just how I read it..

No messing about. :RpS_laugh:

My advice would be forget site mixed sand and cement its not the 70s pal. Loads of pre blended stuff/base coats out there.

You are in Dorset, try the local SAS Europe render. You will need a first coat of their prep to make it all stick and then finish with their float render. Nice creamy gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.