External insulation with render advice please..

Members online

GX1

Hi all,
New member here. I won't bore you all with the story, but we're at the tail end of a 12 month major refurb/extension and the main contractor has gone into administration...

I feel relieved at no longer having to put up with his BS, but am having to take over the management of the final parts, one of which is the some external insulation and rendering. The house is Edwardian so is solid brick walls with smooth white render from around 1m up.

We have taken the back off the house to extend and the builder has rebuilt the 1st floor rear wall from concrete blocks, which need to be externally insulated and then rendered.

The house is around 8.5m wide and the section of wall to be rendered is around 1.6m tall and has two large windows in it which are 1.8 x 1.3m. By my reckoning, the total area to be covered is around 9m2 and will need edging at the sides and around the windows.

We have managed to retain a few good trades who are working for us directly, and whilst they have said they have done plenty of similar work in the past (and have done a brilliant job of internal plastering and repairing/making good the old render so I am confident in their abilities), they are not able to advise on what the best products for the job might be.

Our architect recommended 70mm phenolic boards covered by Weber Therm XP/M1 solution but I don't seem to be able to find this online anywhere and looking at the Weber website, it seems to be a spray on product which I guess may be an issue if I want the guys on site to install it?

My local builders merchants recommended K-Rend with HP12 and TC10 and another suggested Ceresit CT87/34/48...

Does anyone have any advice on what might be the best option or alternatively, is there anyone in the South Bucks region who might be able to do the work as a complete job within the next couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Give weber/k-rend a bell they will advise you, i much prefer rockwool slab over phenolic any day.

70 mm phenolic gives a u value of 0.3 (meeting building regs) I prefer 90mm of eps because it’s better for fixing purposes but it’s down to preference.
Go with a renderer to fit it in any case not a builder.
As said get in touch with said manufacturers in any case they’ll give advice and recommend someone in your area.

Hi all,
New member here. I won't bore you all with the story, but we're at the tail end of a 12 month major refurb/extension and the main contractor has gone into administration...

I feel relieved at no longer having to put up with his BS, but am having to take over the management of the final parts, one of which is the some external insulation and rendering. The house is Edwardian so is solid brick walls with smooth white render from around 1m up.

We have taken the back off the house to extend and the builder has rebuilt the 1st floor rear wall from concrete blocks, which need to be externally insulated and then rendered.

The house is around 8.5m wide and the section of wall to be rendered is around 1.6m tall and has two large windows in it which are 1.8 x 1.3m. By my reckoning, the total area to be covered is around 9m2 and will need edging at the sides and around the windows.

We have managed to retain a few good trades who are working for us directly, and whilst they have said they have done plenty of similar work in the past (and have done a brilliant job of internal plastering and repairing/making good the old render so I am confident in their abilities), they are not able to advise on what the best products for the job might be.

Our architect recommended 70mm phenolic boards covered by Weber Therm XP/M1 solution but I don't seem to be able to find this online anywhere and looking at the Weber website, it seems to be a spray on product which I guess may be an issue if I want the guys on site to install it?

My local builders merchants recommended K-Rend with HP12 and TC10 and another suggested Ceresit CT87/34/48...

Does anyone have any advice on what might be the best option or alternatively, is there anyone in the South Bucks region who might be able to do the work as a complete job within the next couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Welcome along :D

You could do with getting a Weber approved renderer in. Weber will give a specification but avoid phenolic if you can.