External bead problems

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

Occasionally When i put thin coat beads on and coat them out, the 2nd coat comes up all lumpy and bumpy with bubbles. Not sure whats causing it, maybe the gear is too thin or the first coat hasn't picked up enough? Its doing my head in, sometimes no problem at all, sometimes horrible looking and I need to polish the crap out of it to smooth it out. :confused:

Also, whats the correct beads to use for 45 degree externals, e.g the bottom of a slanted staircase ceiling going onto downstairs ceiling.

Cheers! Andy. :RpS_thumbsup:

Use a thin coat stop bead for them angles or butterfly beads if you can get them. not sure about your hubble bubble problem on the beads. not filling them out enough or not using enough pressure....................:huh:

How are you fixing the beads?
If you are using finish to stick them it's it causing the skim coast to bubble? Does it do it if you fix the beads with nails?

If this is on new board work and the 2 angles haven't been chamfered properly then it could be excessive suction from the bare edge of the board under the bead,
Wet/pva the bare edge of the board before stapling a 3mm stop bead on, then run a bit of scrim along the bead lapping onto the board.

If this is on new board work and the 2 angles haven't been chamfered properly then it could be excessive suction from the bare edge of the board under the bead,
Wet/pva the bare edge of the board before stapling a 3mm stop bead on, then run a bit of scrim along the bead lapping onto the board.

I always pva the bare edge before I bead , other spreads / builders look at me daft! Oh well at least I know someone is as daft as me.

I put my beads on using a industrial staple gun and it seems to save time and energy.
Never had a bubble problem with them either ..
But some times you may need to send them home with a hammer depends on the background

Sometimes I have the same problem. Using nail gun to fix them, the background is not good enough and you have some space between the corner bead . Add thin gear , prepared for big hit , and you have the perfect formula. What can help is either you go over the corners before you start or do it with the main hit, but dong go over it twice. Literally , put the gear over the corner and leave it for a wile. I found this very helpful .

Cheers for the replies guys, its nothing to do with dry board edges or that, its mostly re-skims im doing just now with 2 coats of pva and applied when tacky. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. I fix my beads with clout nails 1 top, 1 middle and 1 bottom, more if corner is too wonky. The bubbles/blisters appear in the whole area up the face of the external, a floats length out, (think of where the mud is when tape jointing round window externals) it's always alot deeper than the rest of the wall, i'm thinking it's because i'm either laying it on too thick, or the first coat hasnt picked up enough to be 2nd coated. I should probably fill the externals out and let them firm up before giving it all 2 coats?? but i'm confused as I dont see other people needing to do this. :RpS_confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.