Ewi

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveovcov

Hi my name dave and im starting up on my own plastering and ewi rendering after 5 years experience with a company. I have a van and all my tools, do i need a wetherby card or should i go staight to the nvq2 training and then get my pas 2030. I have been to college years ago todo the plastering nvq just not my ewi. Any tips or help anyone can give for a new start up business will much appreciated

Yeah not sure why you want a whetherby card or a pas2030. Get established before paying out huge amount like pas.
get in with a manufacturer get carded. Join checkatrade or target your builders

Daveofcov, where are you based? What market are you after? Private or trade?

i make a whack out of ewi, no pas 2030 or Wetherby just salemanship. Read the book Selling To Win. Sell the benefits!

I don't have pas 2030, but ewi is my best earner, and it's about salesman ship. You need to explain to the clients the benefits of it regarding saving on heating bills etc. and it being rated at 5% vat is a great plus.

I'm going order that book now cheers rigsby,I am just about to start advertise more on the ewi system I've done a few and love the system and I bought a eze24 the other week mainly for the top coat as I have a couple of good size thin coat system in the pipe line. Do you apply top coat (1.5) with machine rigsby and if so are you doing it with 1 or 2 passes? Also how do you advertise? I need to make the move over to more externals, we probably 85 percent internal and 15 percent external. I have a three gang and we are jammed solid (I can't moan really) but I've had enough of internal a lot site work and really want to consent rate on external any advise appreciated cheers

I do not do thin coat by machine, not yet anyway. It is one of those finishes you can part do today and finish tomorrow, the way I do it anyway. Great if you are on your own and I have a sponger upper machine if it is drying a bit fast.

Same with the boarding, get fed up and want to call it a day? My adhesive is (sometimes) foam so no waste. Just wrap up and go. Everthing is so light, great when you are getting on a bit.

I have been rendering as a business since 83 so well known and have Credability.

Yeah that what I like about it, it's a great system and we are very well known too we have never advertised my dads 40 years and me 20 just sick of the internal site prices and steroid injections lol I am going to get the van signed up just on external and put some signs up on my flats/properties she how it goes cheers

Sponge machines I have seen these but never used one but I don't sponge my base coat,how much are they?

Why wouldn't you sponge your base coat iv been doing ewi for 5 years now and never heard of not sponging up do you just hit it with a spachler and just leave it ? Then top coat straight on top with out a sponge first ??

I do not do thin coat by machine, not yet anyway. It is one of those finishes you can part do today and finish tomorrow, the way I do it anyway. Great if you are on your own and I have a sponger upper machine if it is drying a bit fast.

Same with the boarding, get fed up and want to call it a day? My adhesive is (sometimes) foam so no waste. Just wrap up and go. Everthing is so light, great when you are getting on a bit.

I have been rendering as a business since 83 so well known and have Credability.

What adhesive do you use then. For foam? Is it sto turbo?

Weatherby insist you sponge your base coat as it opens it up to the air and helps drying process and the flatter the base coat it is easier to prime it/ top coat it

Take it you've never done a nvq level 2 in ewi or any product courses then ? because if you had you wouldn't be chatting utter poo if you knew what you were doing/ talking about lol

No i done a.two day you tube course.
im approved in jub and marmorit with over 5 yrs in it. And 12yr internal. So you think whetherby make their own system?

Course they do so do alseco so to knauf there's to many company's that manufacture there own ewi systems to mention but you've got to follow the spec for each manufacture have there own spec we had the rep out from weatherby on Thursday to talk through an issue with the top coat and he went through the spec with us for the new topcoat/base coat we were using so you think they don't manufacture ewi then ??

Course they do so do alseco so to knauf there's to many company's that manufacture there own ewi systems to mention but you've got to follow the spec for each manufacture have there own spec we had the rep out from weatherby on Thursday to talk through an issue with the top coat and he went through the spec with us for the new topcoat/base coat we were using so you think they don't manufacture ewi then ??

No they dont. Theyve put together a system that works for them but they dont make it.

Of course you gotta follow their spec mate. No disputing that what so ever. Every system have their own trademark. I.e fixing patterns

I spat it as flat as but sometimes you may have a slight ridge here amd there so a light spongeing to flatten them out. Yes most manufacturers say no water it weakens the surface but this is a dampened sponge not a splash of water like on skimming.

I have had the likes of Stomix say spat then scrape out any ridges when set. Sod that, too hard on the wrists.

I spat it as flat as but sometimes you may have a slight ridge here amd there so a light spongeing to flatten them out. Yes most manufacturers say no water it weakens the surface but this is a dampened sponge not a splash of water like on skimming.

I have had the likes of Stomix say spat then scrape out any ridges when set. Sod that, too hard on the wrists.

Try using maite without water.no chance!!!

Of course but they produce the system its under there trade name the ewi system has nothing to do with k rend weatherby have a spec sheet which says the base coat is to be hit with a spachler then sponged up before you top coat if you follow the spec you should be sponging the base coat before you prime ready for top coat otherwise you will see every line/ divet Ect through the top coat but you don't for sum reason ?

Of course but they produce the system its under there trade name the ewi system has nothing to do with k rend weatherby have a spec sheet which says the base coat is to be hit with a spachler then sponged up before you top coat if you follow the spec you should be sponging the base coat before you prime ready for top coat otherwise you will see every line/ divet Ect through the top coat but you don't for sum reason ?

I don't sponge either.i will admit to not having years experience behind me with ewi but the guys I have worked with don't use one.
If a spat is used to flatten properly it will not show through

of course but they produce the system its under there trade name the ewi system has nothing to do with k rend weatherby have a spec sheet which says the base coat is to be hit with a spachler then sponged up before you top coat if you follow the spec you should be sponging the base coat before you prime ready for top coat otherwise you will see every line/ divet ect through the top coat but you don't for sum reason ?
their base coat comes from ireland and their silocon top coat comes from germany i dont sponge my base coat ,just leave it off the spatch, then flatten any lines out later,i think its easier to prime that way,thats if its my own job anyway

Each to there own when you go on product course for weathby/alseco they do tell you to sponge base coat but if you decide not to then up to you when I did my nvq level 2 ewi we were taught to sponge up base coat to so go knows why no of you do it there's is no one on this planet who can spach a base coat and not leave lines in it hence use a sponge to flatten it you don't need water on the sponge there's enough in the base coat as your sponging it the water comes to surface to help flatten it

It's all about following manufactures system, weatherby say sponge then sponge simple but I haven't use weatherby. I use jub mainly and have use sto and both say Spatz and scrape lines I have never had problem with lines there easy to remove or divers but what ever works for you to get job done :)

Weatherby insist you sponge your base coat as it opens it up to the air and helps drying process and the flatter the base coat it is easier to prime it/ top coat it
Total non sense ! Wetherby tech will tell you to do that if he saw you cant get the basecoat right! The best way to finish Wetherby and any other thincoat system basecoat is with trowel and finishing spatula. The surface is smooth and encapsulated. Primer is applied much easier and better and you have the best finish of top coat.
If I were you I will ask my self why they have recommended to weaken the basecoat with sponge????? Book another course or spend more hours on you tube if that will help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.